PDA

View Full Version : Thane

Dreamchaser
03-12-2008, 03:20 PM
Hey guys is Thane 30level a good choice?

CAP007
03-12-2008, 03:57 PM
Well I would start at level one and would not stop untill game is finished, Thanes are very fun but a little challenging

McGyverForTehWin
03-26-2008, 07:54 AM
Odd question. But Thanes can be increadibly powerful if you find the right gear but you need to advance a bit further than lvl30 for that.
I have a lvl54 Thane in Epic Hades (or rather Rhodos) prodding buttocks.

CookieMonster
03-29-2008, 11:36 AM
Thane are hybrids....they require a little planning to decide which skills you are going tu use....if you want to get benefits from all storms elemental damage, I suggest that you try to raise your INT at least to 400-450....even if you are going full melee. Rest in STR and add Defensive ability through gear and relics and charms. IMO hybrids feel more rewarding.

BeaverusIV
04-01-2008, 03:06 AM
My first char was a Thane, just a warning that any-old gear/skills/stats will do for a while, but to get into Legendary it is a hard road. Well worth it, though, way more rewarding than taking another Hunting/X||Defense/X through...

McGyverForTehWin
04-01-2008, 07:42 AM
My first char was a Thane, just a warning that any-old gear/skills/stats will do for a while, but to get into Legendary it is a hard road. Well worth it, though, way more rewarding than taking another Hunting/X||Defense/X through...

Epic Sabretooth and Demeter's Sorrow for hurt and Mantle of Sa'Jun for protection. Bring 'em on!

McGyverForTehWin
04-01-2008, 07:54 AM
Thane are hybrids....they require a little planning to decide which skills you are going tu use....if you want to get benefits from all storms elemental damage, I suggest that you try to raise your INT at least to 400-450....even if you are going full melee. Rest in STR and add Defensive ability through gear and relics and charms. IMO hybrids feel more rewarding.

I'm going to go ahead and disagree with you here. My experience is that you should raise Dex until you can wield/wear what you like and pour the rest into Str. The reason is that Int boosts your elemental damage but as a Thane you don't cause that much lightning- or cold damage but rely more on physical damage which benefits from Str. Str which you need anyway to wear sufficient armour and wield powerful weapons.
On top of that, Warfare progression doesn't give any boost to Int, only Str (+64) and Dex (+64) causing the overall Int boost to grind to a halt at +96 from Storm.

It's a way better idea to get +X% Lightning Damage gear like Ikon of Zeus (It's crazy high: +60% lightning and +30% cold damage) than boost it by Int.

Shadowshire
04-01-2008, 08:27 AM
Well, i would recommend Melee Thane instead of Caster. Warfare benefits casters very little. Second you will have to rely on Squall alot, if you are to stand a chance of going through Epic and Legendary. Squall will lower resistances of monsters, disable their archers and lower their damage, so keep Squalling like a madman and you'll actually have alot of fun...

Use ultra fast dual wield weapons to finish off any surviver of your Squalling...

Just a suggestion of a build: Dual Thane Level 64 (http://www.titancalc.com/TitanCalc.asp?mastery=Thane&master1=8&master2=3&sa=18&m1=32-0-1-0-12-1-0-0-12-0-0-8-6-12-0-0-1-1-0-8-0&m2=32-6-1-8-6-8-6-1-6-0-1-8-6-6-0-0-5-1-6-6-1-0)

Use War Horn and War Wind for crowd control and Storm Surge as retaliation chance. I put in Thunderball, not for damage, but for the stun effect. This will give you even moe crowd control.

For Attributes i suggest...No intelligence. Use spells for effects and not damage. Get damage from Warfare Mastery. Still i put in some poins in Static Charge as it still boost your elemental damage a good deal.

Important: Get some weapons with "convert % of attack to strength" or some green swords or axes. You can get the "convert % of attack to strength" from the Anubis relic put into those green weapons...Good Luck

CookieMonster
04-01-2008, 10:19 AM
Well I still stand that if you want to benefit from elemental damage, you have to increase INT. Otherwise I do no see why chose a caster mastery (other than squall for storm) with warfare, might as well pick something else.
@McGyverfortehwin : in my experience hybrids are better off with around 400-450 INT, then place the rest as you see fit.

McGyverForTehWin
04-01-2008, 11:28 AM
Yes, elemental damage benefits from Int: for every 65 points of Int you get +10% elemental damage and +1.625 flat elemental damage.
However, for every 65 points in Str you get +10% physical damage as well as +2 flat physical damage and for every 65 points in Dex you get +10% piercing and +1.95 flat piercing damage.

To gain 450 Int you must spen 75 attribute points solely on Int giving you a total modifier of +69% elemental damage and +11.25 flat elemental damage. Dividing the rest between Str and Dex yields +24% physical damage and +5 flat physical damage and +21% piercing damage and +4.2 flat piercing. This lands you at Str 274 and Dex 286, both way too low to meet the requirements of the high end equipment you will need.

But most important of all: A Thane is usually a melee character equipped with melee weapons and rely primarly on physical damage and secondary on piercing damage. For the elemental modifiers to actually matter you must equip a lightning based staff but that would turn you into a caster.

Why combine Warfare with Storm then? Well, because Storm offers great crowd-control with Squall (and Squall alone is reason enough) and Storm Surge and it adds cold and lightning damage to your attacks. With some tweaking you can get as much as 400+ lightning damage in a single attack using nothing but Storm tree skills.

CookieMonster
04-01-2008, 02:19 PM
I know the numbers...all I'm trying to say is that a thane trying to focuss on elemental damage can also be successful in melee. Harder to manage and more difficult to play, but then again, more rewarding in the end. There is great weapons for thanes where high INT comes into play : Folgs, Thunderbolt are the examples that comes to my mind. I'm a firm believer that elemental damage can benefit a melee fighter for example : my melee kung fu style elementalist (no weapons and no casting except squall) is in legendary greece at the hydra....so elemental damage can bring you a long way.