PDA

View Full Version : wow, hunting ...not so good for me

soslo
07-03-2006, 07:43 PM
So I made the mistake of picking Hunting as a second mastery to Storm...so yeah, I think I just ruined my char. I'm up to lvl 26 and have yet to actually use any of the Hunting skills.

Should I start over or is there any redeeming quality in the hunting mastery for me?

Xaece
07-03-2006, 07:59 PM
Depends on how you want to play your char. If you want a pure caster, then yes you have to restart your char.

There are many useful aspects to Hunting however. Such as the HPS (Healing Per Second) Herbalism skill.

There's also the Study Prey line which can lower the elemental Resistance of several enemies atonce, allowing your storm powers to deal out more damage.

Wood Lore with a Spear and Shield will give you far more suvivability than a pure caster can, for the most part. Wood Lore will increase your DA(Defense Attribute) resulting in fewer crits taken, and in some cases your melee foes can out right miss.

The Art of the Hunt line (toggle), while the first one isn't that great for a caster, the two upgrades to it would be a wonderful boon. Take Cover (the 1st upgrade) when max'd out will give you a 25% chance to dodge all arrows (Granted, that Squall can do better, Squall has to be placed on the Archers and may not cover all of them), Trail Blazing will allow you to more successfully kite enemies (faster movement) while also making you completely immune to immobilizes.

Ensnare can be used to hold back a powerful (but not Boss level) melee enemy from hitting you, allowing you to freely kill him as you please while you take care of his annoying archer/mage friends.

I am not sure how effective Monster Lure is, but thats an option to distract monsters for a time while you lay down a Squall and fire off some Chain Lightning and/or Thunderballs.

And the last possibility I can think of is maxing out the Storm Nimber line, and taking the Marksmanship line (First one only 'needs' one point, but additional points are helpful), then max out Puncture Shot. This will allow your arrows to travel through enemies, striking for increased Piercing and Bleeding damage while also dealing the Storm Nimbus damage (either cold or lightning by chance) to all enemies struck by it.

soslo
07-03-2006, 09:36 PM
wow...thanks for the lengthy eval :clap:

Viperace
07-03-2006, 10:47 PM
I believe TQ guide authur , Phillips Marcus was using Bow Hunting/Storm built .

U might wanna buy his guide :D

Shiver
07-03-2006, 11:19 PM
If you're mixing the two trees, you should probably put most of your points into Hunting and just a few into Storm Nimbus and Heart of Frost.

Srikandi
07-04-2006, 03:27 PM
yeah, that's the thing... I think Storm makes a good complement to Hunting, but not vice versa. I've been playing a hunter primary/storm secondary for a while, and I like it; but if you're not doing some kind of conventional damage, hunting doesn't offer much.

Storm has a lot of spells which add damage and slow or stop enemies. Storm Nimbus is great for added dps, and I gave up ensnare for freezing blast, since the latter is aoe and can immobilize a whole bunch of enemies while you pick off the leftovers with your bow.

Galamere
07-04-2006, 05:01 PM
Maxing marksman is actually a mean thing to do, you get something akin to a +140% projectile speed, even the fastest runners will take the hit even before you realize you've finished drawing the string, combine that with Volly and you can have a potentially evil combo, now I have yet to try playing on-line so I dont know if there is PVP or the like, but I think that little one-two punch would leave most wondering what the hell just happened and why are they cant stop the bleeding even as conciousness fades (poision/bleeding ^_^)