PDA

View Full Version : Battlemage: overpowered?

scytale22
12-05-2007, 06:04 AM
Hi guys, I'm pretty new to these forums, so I'd like to start by saying hello.

HI!

haha, ok. I'm curious to hear what the community has to say about the Battlemage as a class. From what I've read, some don't consider it a very viable build.

but why not? I am currently level 55 on mine, and just breezed through act 1 of legendary difficulty. I currently use earth enchantment, onslaught, the earth elemental with most of his defensive/hp buffs maxed (he has something like 11k health right now), the summon-the-elysian-warriors trick, stone form, and, of course, the completely overpowered HORN OF GOOD GAME.

let's see. I run into a pack of mobs, horn away, and kill everything before they become unstunned. plus, I'm stunning on top of that, which makes very few enemies hit me. oh yeah, and the horn does a 25% instant dmg attack to everyone hit. sounds pretty hacks.

but wait! you can't just stunlock a boss now can you? that's what my elemental is for... when he is combined with battle standard, it makes for quite a combination. in the meantime I am free to wail on the boss, and only have to heal if he has some kind of aoe attack.

but wait! let's say that there's a very powerful boss involved (there was a time when I couldn't kill typhon on nightmare difficulty, epic?, but now I can) that kills my tank before his cooldown is up! what do I do? well, in that case I go stoneform, /lol /dance at the boss (ahh, someone out there MUST play wow, come on..), drink a potion if I'm hurt, and by then the cooldown will be nearly up. I throw up some elysian warriors, toss down my earth elemental, run around until he has aggro again, and BAM, instant boss pwnage.

I have yet to find a boss that presents any significant challenge, once the mechanics are figured out. one example that comes to mind is a flaming demon bull in around act III of epic difficulty. that guy has a flame attack that'll hit for 5k+ in melee range, but he only does it every so often, and in a predictable pattern.

the terrible AI in this game is something I would also like to discuss, but perhaps another time.

SO. you've seen the might of the battlemage. can you deny it?

discuss.

BeaverusIV
12-05-2007, 07:30 AM
I think there is no under-powered builds, unless you go to lengths to make one (passive skills, anybody?). The differences lie within the styles of play needed for the skills (obviously melee vs. caster etc.)

My 2c, anyway.

PS: My friend tried a Bmage as his first character, even though I told him not to, but he is still going strong with it and it had made TQ his fav. game right now, putting nwn2 back on the shelf, lol.

PPS:A pure nature is VERY hard to go thorugh the whole game (summons die on normal typhon before you can click growth(?) basically).

Pericles
12-05-2007, 08:19 AM
I'm not doubting your skills as a battlemage,
but the name does sound a little gay don't you think?

and that's why I'll never make one- this also counts for 'dreamkiller' (what were they smoking when they came up with that corny name?) and 'paladin'.

scytale22
12-05-2007, 08:35 AM
ha, nah, I think it's an appropriate name for what I am: a melee brawler who uses fiery magicks. =D

but seriously, who would want to be a paladin? hehe...

Viper_Sweden
12-05-2007, 10:05 AM
Defense = Melee Survival x12
Storm = Ranged Survival x12

EVERYONE should want to be a Paladin... :p

scytale22
12-05-2007, 04:22 PM
to be honest, I'm not very familiar with many of the other trees. my only alt is a level 5 nature guy. :O

hey so if a paladin is focused on survival, how does he actually kill things? or do they just not do that much damage, so he can afford to kill them slowly?

also, is it possible to pvp in tq?

BeaverusIV
12-05-2007, 06:21 PM
pvp is possible, via TQ Defiler.

Paladin has the shield procs, they kick ***.

Nature... I don't know, I have gotten 2 of them up to Typhon and couldn't beat him, so I deleted them :/

Matseb2611
12-05-2007, 09:37 PM
Nature is insanely boring in my opinion. It has almost no offense except for wolves and plague and even those take long time to kill.

Battlemage was my first character ever. He is stuck on act 4 legendary now, but that's mostly because I didn't put many points in intelligence, put way too much in health and didn't concentrate on DA when it wasn't too late. But yeah, if battlemage can find himself/herself some good defence such as high armor rating and good DA then yeah he can kill things quicker than most classes.

Graphtina
12-05-2007, 09:38 PM
For nature u must be able to kite to beat typhon. And plague tree helps to give u that little extra time. Forget the wolve for this battle.

Matseb2611
12-05-2007, 09:39 PM
Plague was pretty much the only skill I was using out of nature with my soothsayer on act 3 normal.

scytale22
12-06-2007, 04:07 PM
I found on typhon, even on my battlemage, that it was pretty easy to run around and dodge his attacks if you had a little +speed (I think I had around 20% at the time, nothing special). vitality damage and energy damage resists will help a lot from his drains, and from there, it should be easy to just shoot, run, shoot, run, etc. then again, I don't know anything about high level nature, so maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. =p

Matseb2611
12-06-2007, 08:35 PM
Neither do I really. As far as I know nature and spirit are weak masteries by themselves, but can be good support masteries, especially spirit.

BeaverusIV
12-07-2007, 05:58 PM
Yeah, nature rocks as a support mastery with incresed speed/health/resistances from HoO and major debuff from Plague, it does add so much more oomph to your attacks, just not a starter, although you can be fooled by the way you can cruise through until Typhon (I summoned wolves at the start of act 2 and they didn't die until end of act, same for act3).

+Skills rocks, lol.

Chal
12-07-2007, 09:08 PM
Act 1 and 2 Legendary is easy for any build. Your real test will be Act 3 and 4. Monsters are faster and hit a lot harder. Come back after you beat the whole game and let us know if you feel differently. You really can't judge power level until you've played all the way through.

Battlemage is a actually one of the weakest melee builds because Earth doesn't complement melee as well as all the other masteries do. Of course that doesn't mean it's not viable, it's just not as good.

Matseb2611
12-08-2007, 09:05 PM
Earth is a very awesome starting mastery. It gives your character THE POWER from pretty much level 2. You get to have Earth enchantment, brimstone and volcanic orb. Monsters fly! Unfortunately later on they get better resistances to it.

Shimeran
01-22-2008, 03:32 AM
I'm actually on my first battlemage right now and I've got to say I'm loving it. I built the character around a "fire dancer" concept so I figured I'd see how far I can go dual wielding torches. The first try was a little slow as I started in warfare. I decided to restart with Earth and the damage has impresive. I've broken 100 dps and Earth Enchantment isn't fully maxed yet. The fact fire damage is higher than physical damage on torches has done some interesting things to the build. I've skipped Onslaught for now, but War Wind has become a 1 point wonder. The -25% physical damage for level one doesn't affect my fire damage and my physical damage is already low enough that the penalty doesn't really hurt.

smokin snipes
02-10-2008, 09:08 PM
is it a good idea for a battlemage to DW or would a shield be a good idea?

Matseb2611
02-11-2008, 07:53 PM
My one did dual wielding, but occassionally I needed to switch onto secondary weapon set where I had a good shield such as Priam's gate or Shield of Permathryn.

smokin snipes
02-11-2008, 11:48 PM
ok cool cuz i found a purple(legendary?) amulet thats clearly for earth mastery on act 1 epic and i was looking at the skills in the earth mastery and they seem to go pretty good with warfare

Eric_The_Red
02-12-2008, 04:47 AM
Lol the name has also stopped me from playing a battle mage but it does sound like something i might try since the thane was such great character for me

Poinas
02-12-2008, 03:08 PM
is it a good idea for a battlemage to DW or would a shield be a good idea?

Depends..if you are doing low dmg, then Dual Wielding can help you to deal with the monsters more quickly.

If you have terrible resists and you die or have to drink potions often, go with a shield.

I would definately DW with a Battlemage.

Viper_Sweden
02-12-2008, 04:04 PM
Pyrophoric Lop is an awesome axe for a Battlemage...

CookieMonster
02-16-2008, 11:25 AM
Exactly the axes I was aiming at with my growing battlemage. Another of my hybrids going the distance so far.