PDA

View Full Version : *hardcore* melee dream advice needed

Ygramul
07-15-2007, 12:18 PM
Hardcore play means death is the end. So, survival is everything. This means I play very cautiously and trade safety over damage when there is a question.

My build so far:
TitanCalc by stonedonkey - A Titan Quest Calculator - Seer (http://www.titancalc.com/TitanCalc.asp?mastery=Seer&master1=9&master2=0&sa=0&m1=32-0-0-0-0-0-12-0-0-0-8-0-12-0-0-1-0-0-0-0-12-0&m2=0)

Experience so far in normal [act III]:
I adopted large maces over faster weapons and spend no time within mobs. Instead, I just fade in and deliver a phantom strike, one shot killing the mob and distort reality the others who rush in. (Or the other way around: DR the mob and PS the archers/mages).

My pure seer handles even bosses much easier than my defender->conqueror. (dead at the hands of Typhon.)

I find that beyond lvl 25 it is better to add a second mastery, which one is the best in terms of survivability?

Templar is tempting on paper, but I have doubts. Shield smashes benefit from frequent fire rates and I on the other hand prefer to hit once and fade away instead of standing in place and weedwhacking. Adrenaline is not reliable either: if I don't intend to stand around I won't be hit and it won't get activated. But rally and armor prof. are solid.

Rogue is tempting: fade in poison and confuse everyone and fade out.

Hunting is tempting: get very DA and never get hit

Spirit is temting: debuff the nearby enemies buffing own damage.

Earth: same as Spirit.

Please send your critiques and advice. I wish to survive all the way to Legendary.

Taozu
07-15-2007, 02:06 PM
I have three suggestions Templar is an obvious one, but the build not so much. With Templar your focus should be reflecting damage Trance of Empathy and Defiance are your key skills. That 120-150 %damage reflected. 95% of the time you wont need ToE or Defiance because face it most mobs donít hit hard, as a hardcore player however these skills make you un-killable get a high shield block rate and watch the deadliest enemies fall without you even attacking once. Second key thing about defense is Iron will, stun resistance + skill disruption protectionÖ. honestly donít try hardcore without it.

Haruspex is the next choice you can get your chance to avoid projectiles very high. Focus on very high Defensive Ability with premonitions +18% and Wood Lore +32% the best passive in the game you are looking at 50% higher defensive ability from skills alone. Then there is Find Cover +25% and Temporal Flux +15% for a total of 40% chance to avoid projectiles. Dump a fair amount into Dex and your DA will be so high mobs cant hit you add some nice chance to avoid range projectiles and archers wont dent you.

The first two are top notch their problem however is the points it takes for them to become killers they are both late game builds. My third build is just talking about Spirit I actually play a Spellbinder right now. I donít even play hardcore and have not died once.

The Death Chill line maxed out only costs 22 points so points invested is low for high return. You are reducing enemyís heath but more importantly you are slowing down their attack speed by 25%, lowering their flat Damage by 36% and their Piercing damage by 36% if you have +4 to skill items with the lowing of attack speed and the damage they do you are taking over 60% of their damage away. Then later on there is Death Ward, the single reason why someone that is reckless and is not even trying to be hardcore has not died and is close to completing the game. You spend so little in spirit you can max the key defense skills fast itís a complete build by level 40ish not late 50s like haruspex and templar.

% of damage converted to health is of course key to this build I went all the way past epic and half way into legendary only using 3 health pots, I chug the blue pots but not as much as with other builds.

Would a Diviner work? I would worry about AoE damage you donít have the massive AoE damage you get from defense passive shield attacks along with batter and charge. Phantom Strikes cool down is too long.

If you must have a dream char templar or haruspex would be the best bet. Ranged Haruspex or melee Templar, I would not melee Haruspex untill high 50s and you have a complete build with the gear. You should have over 2k DA by then with a Haruspex.

Ygramul
07-15-2007, 03:19 PM
Excellent advice! Many thanks and some questions:

Is damage reflection good enough to kill bosses or would I be dead long before they are? Besides I kinda like ToC. I was using ToE in the beginning and since I moved to ToC I almost never use potions anymore. (I imagine ToW might become a necessity for one-shot killing later in the game.)

Also how does death ward work?
It says "3 sec duration". Do you need to recast it if you intend to be dead in the next 3 secs or something? Or does it stick around until activated?

Re: hunting: I don't wanna go ranged. Not my style. Is a spear an option? (I suppose I require heavy dex investment.)

Oh, and I found a captain's signet for my seer. It is smooth sailing for now.

Additional question: Who are the bosses/mobs who can one shot a character? I would love to avoid nasty surprises as cautious as I try to be.

Poinas
07-15-2007, 04:44 PM
If it's a hardcore character, I'd use ToC rather than ToE. Even 100%+ damage reflected is not enough, and certainly will not help you survive longer.

Shinma
07-15-2007, 06:23 PM
I play a pure melee dual wield Harbinger (Warfare + Dream). ToC is a life saver. Level 64, and only 7 deaths, all to the Legendary Toxeus. (grr) Battle Standard, and War Horn will be very helpful to you if you decide to go this route. War Horn will give you a 3rd stun, and you will probably find good use for it.

Viper_Sweden
07-15-2007, 06:36 PM
Is stun reflected???

Batman
07-15-2007, 06:45 PM
My pure Dream meleer, Colin(THREAD (http://www.titanquest.net/forums/dream/17173-colin-melee-seer.html?highlight=Colin)), just reached lvl 50 in Epic Act IV.
Really pleased with his progress at the moment.

Ygramul
07-15-2007, 07:48 PM
Specific Hunting question:

Does the +190% damage of Phantom Strike multiply also the +75% pierce of the Art of the Hunt? Meaning, does a spear turn into a killer-pike-of-doom in the hands of a Haruspex? (Or lamely do these two bonuses are separately additive and thus uninteresting?)

Ygramul
07-15-2007, 07:49 PM
Batman: I had dread Colin's adventures with interest. I'm worried though that he's dead. :( Can you advise how you would have raised him to survive hardcore?

My pure Dream meleer, Colin(THREAD (http://www.titanquest.net/forums/dream/17173-colin-melee-seer.html?highlight=Colin)), just reached lvl 50 in Epic Act IV.
Really pleased with his progress at the moment.

Batman
07-16-2007, 03:22 AM
I'm worried that he's dead too, I didn't get invited to the wake...............

Having never played Hardcore, it was never in my mind. Therefore, I wasn't making mental notes as I went through the game. However, if I had taken things a little slower, thought about my actions first and listened to the advice Creslyn gave me earlier than I did, then I believe that HC would be possible.
I did have the advantage of the Caravan and a few good early drops though.

Also, be aware of the rise in mob damage in Act IV, Normal and Epic. You cannot just run in and oblterate everything like you can in most of Acts 2 & 3.

Do no farming. It only increases the chance of death by misadventure.