PDA

View Full Version : Juggernaut - Asking for some tips

Gigatron
03-25-2007, 10:46 AM
Hello, I'm playing a lvl 38 Juggernaut (defense + earth) and I'm not making up my mind about how my build should exactly be. I have always seen the playing style like this (if you now one better let me know):

Use Defense to both basically attack (high attack speed + shield skills does good damage) and defend (quick recover, rally etc), and Earth as support, with of course Earth enchantment, also volcanic orb and eruption, heat shield or stone form, wich saved my *** a couple of times.

So, what stat points distribution do you recommend? For now, I have put some on health, strenght and dexerety, no one on energy or intelligence.

Also, what skills do you think I should max up, acording to the playing style (if you think mine is wrong, acording to yours)?

That's all, thank you.

Gigatron
03-26-2007, 08:38 PM
still wanting advices... :rolleyes: here is the build as I see it, please leave your opinion. I know juggernaut isn't one of the ultimate badass builds, but I'm enjoying playing it, it can be used in many ways.
TitanCalc by stonedonkey - A Titan Quest Calculator - Juggernaut (http://www.titancalc.com/TitanCalc.asp?mastery=Juggernaut&master1=1&master2=5&m1=32-12-0-8-0-0-12-1-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-12-1-0-12-0&m2=32-6-0-0-0-1-1-8-6-6-0-1-0-0-6-8-0-6-12-1-6-0)

Doubts:

1.-Volativity: Affects only skills such as VO doesn't it? Or also normal damage (due to earth enchantment maybe?)
2.-Is brimstone worth maxing? (if you don't have plenty of skill points)
3.-Conflagration worth investing points?

4.-Battle awareness (really, iron will and focus) is nice, but it takes so much energy (and points too, indeed), and I have very little. Worth using it?
5.-Armor handling: Worth maxing?

Any help will be welcome, thanks.

Maestro
03-26-2007, 08:44 PM
I'm curious about this build too, and I was wondering if just using Earth simply for Core Dweller and it's synergies as a tank is viable or even necessary for a Defense build, or if you just use Earth for it's damage multipliers... (earth enchantment etc)

Gigatron
03-26-2007, 09:02 PM
and I was wondering if just using Earth simply for Core Dweller and it's synergies as a tank is viable or even necessary for a Defense build

I think logic says... No. You are suposed to be the tank yourself don't you? But I guess it could work out, why not. After all, rally, earth enchantment, battle awareness... the CD can end up pretty well buffed.

I particulary don't like pets, I prefer to be powerful by myself, each to his own they say. So I was more oriented to use earth to deal damage with of course EE, also VO and eruption.

Lillis
03-27-2007, 10:57 AM
EE line for damage boost, 1 point in Heat Shield (if you haven't got a Seal of Hephaestus), and Ring of Fire for added damage and defense. Maybe Eruption too, since enemies will be in place while you're tanking them.

Gigatron
03-27-2007, 11:10 AM
maxed EE is sure thing... But stone skin, I don't find worth investing points. And brimstone... not sure, what do you think?

Heat shield... that reminds me of a doubt I have: 112 damage absortion is for fire damage isn't it? And 15% damage resistance is also for fire damage or for all kind of damage? I find this important, because if it protects against all kind of damage, it's ok, but against fire damage, is pretty useless, because with for example one fire breath from the two-headed monsters in act 4 the shield disappears.

I'll try ring of fire if you recomend, but my energy regen. turns negative together with EE :lol: Think I should do something about it.

Dereliction
03-27-2007, 12:54 PM
Use Defense to both basically attack (high attack speed + shield skills does good damage) and defend (quick recover, rally etc), and Earth as support, with of course Earth enchantment, also volcanic orb and eruption, heat shield or stone form, wich saved my *** a couple of times.

I've had a lot of fun with my Juggernaut, currently in epic Greece somewhere around 36th level or so. In any case, this is the setup I use (or very close ... as this is from memory): Juggernaut build. (http://www.titancalc.com/TitanCalc.asp?mastery=Juggernaut&master1=1&master2=5&m1=4-4-0-4-0-12-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0&m2=32-6-4-0-6-9-6-0-0-6-2-0-0-0-0-2-4-0-0-2-6-0)

Basically, with this build, you want to don the heaviest armor you can get your hands on combined with some mixture of health regen, strength and +% fire/+fire gear. A blunt weapon is used, naturally.

The strategy is basically the same in both normal and (so far) in epic; rush into the major mobs such as bosses, heroes, casters, etc. Ring of Fire will do almost all of the heavy work for you on trash mobs. You can almost literally ignore them entirely (in fact, in normal you *can* ignore them since they'll be dead before you finish off primary target(s)).

While you have a stun with concussive blow, and it works fantastic, it is handy to keep around or consistently use a weapon (or add in gear) that further strengthens your stun aspect. Pulverize will fire a lot more than you might expect, shutting down power use. On more rare occassions when the mobs are really crowded in and putting pressure on you, or you want to deal with a boss at peak form - colossus form is a great "Oh no you don't ... Have a taste of this!" card to play.

The build is very solid and highly durable but can't be said to be speedy (compared to other classes). Few fights will make you sweat, even against bosses. So far in Epic I've been quite happy and surprised at how well the build has held up. I really thought that ring of fire wouldn't cut it, particularly since the amount of +fire% goodies I have has been somewhat reduced in favor of resistance gear. That'll probably change a bit once my gear improves some overall and I expect the build and strategy to improve through epic as a result.

A really good blunt weapon can help speed things up, regardless, and you'll come to absolutely love pulverize and concussive blow on bosses in addition. In essence, the defense mastery provides your staying power (and boy does it!) and single target offense while earth compliments with your trash/aoe offense.

You'll find this build also makes a rather remarkable companion for your party members in multiplayer. Ring of fire works very well on gathering and holding the aggro of mobs while you knock primary foes silly, often keeping them stunned and without power use for notable periods of time during a fight. Smart party members will play into this and lend their weight into taking down primary bosses while letting you and your ring of fire chew down the masses of trash that gather around.

The only major downside, aside from a somewhat slower time taking down tougher mobs (bosses, etc.) is that you'll need to keep a healthy supply of mana pots on hand. While it is possible to get gear to help with mana regen, I ignored it entirely, opting instead to gulp down mana pots when necessary and shooting for gear that would compliment my durability and offense more readily. It is a highly gear dependent build, I should add. But with the right gear, the juggernaut is a complete monster to throw at the game.

Overall, I was really impressed with the juggernaut as I built him. He did start verrrry slow (due in large part with the fact that I started as defense mastery) but really picked up momentum after about 12th level or so. Since then, the only boss that ever gave me trouble was the neanderthal boss. Nothing else so far as so much as caused a hiccup in the approach, not even Typhoon. With the right gear I've seen this toon stand in toe-to-toe fights with mobs I wouldn't even consider with any of my other characters.

It has also been a lot of fun to play, at least once I got over his early "growing" curve and opened up the fire mastery to power his offense. That is my take on the class. Your mileage may vary!

Gigatron
03-27-2007, 02:02 PM
And you do fine without VO and eruption?? Wow, they are my main offensive skills, VO has a very good damage (and both fire and normal, wich helps), very short cooldawn (I wish I had more energy) and a more than interesting stunning power. Didn't you considered that point, having maxed concussive blow??

Eruption by the other hand is pretty, pretty killer, helps a lot with the bosses in addition (as you say, slow to take dawn), because you can tank them and make them not to move, thus taking huge damage.

Consider those guys out, I think they would help your build seriously...

And, ye god, is ring of fire that powerful? I was using it for its armor reduce, and only when mobbed, because it turned negative my energy regen. I'll try your way and use lots of potions.

I will also try to get a good blunt weapon and play maxed concussive blow, to see how it works. Until now, I was wearing a very high attack speed weapon, also +15% attack speed (very, very nice) and some other stuff, to get lots of shield strikes. Works nice, let me tell you, only 1 point to each and he used shield constantly.

And lately, I had got a blue weapon with 10% damage converted to health, +19% health regen. and some other stuff. I deal less DPS but I have an ENORMOUS health regen. (plus with adrenaline and rally... :headbang: ) and in order to fix the damage, I'm maxing that excellent pulverice (already maxed), also disable and then shield smash, to hit with the shield more than with the weapon :lol:

And I totally agree with you, very funny character, way more than the oracle and assasin I also have. Stop building conquerors boys! Give Juggernaut a chance! :lol:

Lillis
03-27-2007, 02:51 PM
A note on the energy regeneration - Rally/Inspiration ftw! :)
I have two Juggernauts myself; one is a standard melee toon, and the other is a caster with -100% Recharge. As a caster you can - as you pointed out - utilize Concussive Blow's benefits with VO, along with permanent Rally, Quick Recovery, and Colossus Form. Pretty much a tank-caster. Works great, but you'll have some trouble with fire based enemies such as Sprites, and the Demon Bull.

Gigatron
03-27-2007, 05:43 PM
Wow, -100% recharge, can't see how something could not work with that :lol: permanent rally, permanent quick recovery and permanent colossus... that along with lots of VOs... can't wait for :twisted:

About Inspiration... you're sure that'd work? It gives a +6'8 maxed... I think it's ok with -100% recharge, but with ordinary recharge, I think I better go look for another solution... such as many potions.

Heat shield... that reminds me of a doubt I have: 112 damage absortion is for fire damage isn't it? And 15% damage resistance is also for fire damage or for all kind of damage? I find this important, because if it protects against all kind of damage, it's ok, but against fire damage, is pretty useless, because with for example one fire breath from the two-headed monsters in act 4 the shield disappears.

1.-Volativity: Affects only skills such as VO doesn't it? Or also normal damage (due to earth enchantment maybe?)
2.-Is brimstone worth maxing? (if you don't have plenty of skill points)
3.-Conflagration worth investing points?

4.-Battle awareness (really, iron will and focus) is nice, but it takes so much energy (and points too, indeed), and I have very little. Worth using it?
5.-Armor handling: Worth maxing?

Anything about that someone?

Lillis
03-27-2007, 06:39 PM
Heat Shield:
Flat Damage Absorption is Fire only
% Damage Resistance is Physical only

1) Volativity affects ALL fire damage.
2) Yes, you get a % Damage Boost.
3) It increases the area of explosion, so yes?
4) Put 1 point in all of 'em, and maybe more if you have spare points later. Just raise with +skills.
5) Yes.

Also, Inspiration adds 10 energy regen at it's ultimate level. It's more than enough for me. :)

Klementh
03-27-2007, 10:04 PM
I am making this build: TitanCalc by stonedonkey - A Titan Quest Calculator - Juggernaut (http://www.titancalc.com/TitanCalc.asp?mastery=Juggernaut&master1=1&master2=5&m1=32-12-0-8-0-12-0-0-0-0-0-0-8-0-0-0-0-0-12-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0&m2=32-0-1-1-6-1-12-0-6-1-6-1-6-1-6-8-6-6-12-8-6-0-0-0-0-0-0)

I use Batter as my primary attack and Chield Charge as secondary. I have to click for every normal attack while Batter is recharging, but it's the most efffective way to use these skills, at least for now that I one-hit-kill almost anything (Batter alone kills 3 things at once a lot of times and I don't mind using it for just one enemy).

This is my character for now: TitanCalc by stonedonkey - A Titan Quest Calculator - Juggernaut (http://www.titancalc.com/TitanCalc.asp?mastery=Juggernaut&master1=1&master2=5&m1=4-8-0-2-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0&m2=24-0-1-1-0-1-1-0-1-1-1-1-1-1-1-0-0-1-0-0-0-0-0)

This character is incredibly fun and powerful at the same time, and I'm sure it will still be in Epic and Legendary difficulties.

Dereliction
03-28-2007, 12:43 AM
And you do fine without VO and eruption?? Wow, they are my main offensive skills, VO has a very good damage (and both fire and normal, wich helps), very short cooldawn (I wish I had more energy) and a more than interesting stunning power. Didn't you considered that point, having maxed concussive blow??

Honestly I've had very little problem along the way. The neanderthal boss was actually a wake up call to me (with respect to getting my stun and vitality damage resistances up to par). Otherwise, once I got RoF going full blast and some solid gear under-foot the rest was a piece of cake for the entire duration of normal.

Eruption by the other hand is pretty, pretty killer, helps a lot with the bosses in addition (as you say, slow to take dawn), because you can tank them and make them not to move, thus taking huge damage.

Consider those guys out, I think they would help your build seriously...

Very well may be true. With that in mind, my concern has been only two fold -- survive whatever gets thrown at me and try to knock my main focused target silly. Sounds simple, I suppose, but it has worked very well. I practically won't pick up a weapon unless it has some further stun to it (beyond that of concussive blow), however.

Yet, it works great. I've had fights where I've pretty much stunned the beefy-boss-type mob out of the battle while RoF burned everything else to the ground. It was exactly what I was shooting for with the build and it has even managed to surprise me at how effective it worked.

Currently in epic, the trash mobs are surviving for the duration of my focus-target but tend to be pretty seriously damaged and requiring just a bit more cleanup than I was used to in normal. In normal I literally paid no attention to trash mobs, trailing them along with me to the next fight if any actually survived long enough. It was like a world full of only boss/hero mobs and my juggernaut. Time (and gear, I suspect) will tell if the same strategy will continue to hold through epic. So far it looks as though it very well may, but gear is more of a deciding factor than how I am skilled out -- as I see it currently.

Overall, in alignment with my goal for him, was a much greater focus on defense than offense. That is, a slow offense was (generally) not a problem as long as I could survive anything that happened in the mean time. The result has led me to leave a deep earth focus out of the picture (hence no VO or Eruption).

I think that the greater focus on the Defense mastery has also been a significant part of the fun factor in playing him. Why? Because really is tough and it was (and is) really fun to try and constantly find his limit. Just how many mobs can he handle at once, after all? How long will it take to burn that huge mass of mobs to the ground while laughing at their feeble attempts to stomp on me?

Seeing how far this toon can be pushed before actually having to retreat, even a bit, well it can be downright fun and interesting to play with -- especially in trying out gear of different sorts to see the effect. Which is working better right now ... more health regen or +%fire? More armor or more resistances? It is the same thing other classes ask but in a much more visible way, I think. He is so durable and generally has room to give that experimentation during even tough fights is possible without to much of a sweat.

Having used VO with another caster-styled character, I can definitely see how it would benefit and speed up the process and is something I have seriously considered adding into the mix.

Going foward, my plan was to integrate some degree of -recharge into my gear and heavily spec up Defiance. I figure if I can pop a defiance charged rally with a high(er) degree of frequency, in combination with RoF I should easily put down any trash around me while keeping myself in solid battle form while hopefully and severely harming the boss-type in front of me in the process. I figure the advantage in this may best be seen when facing high-fire resistant mobs as opposed to going with a more straight-foward Earth offense. 60% damage reflected, a beefed up RoF, some sort of hefty "Whomper" and a frequently occuring Pulverize on top of it all, that has gotta hurt even the toughest of mobs. Groups of them at a time, for that matter.

And, ye god, is ring of fire that powerful? I was using it for its armor reduce, and only when mobbed, because it turned negative my energy regen. I'll try your way and use lots of potions.

I will also try to get a good blunt weapon and play maxed concussive blow, to see how it works. Until now, I was wearing a very high attack speed weapon, also +15% attack speed (very, very nice) and some other stuff, to get lots of shield strikes. Works nice, let me tell you, only 1 point to each and he used shield constantly.

It is suprisingly effective (RoF). A lot more effective than I've seen others speak about it in the forum in any case. Maybe that won't hold true as I delve further into epic with him, but I haven't seen it become so diminished as of yet.

As far as a good blunt weapon goes, I've used an enhanced Icthian Whomper that I picked up almost the moment I got into the Orient (they drop like so much fodder on the way to the Temple of Marduk, it seems). Naturally I put a Prometheus into it. I do have a new weapon I've been meaning to put into his hands from another character but I didn't actually get TQ:IT until yesterday, so I'm yet to upgrade him in that respect ... not a problem now, naturally.

I believe (without looking) that I have some modicum of +% attack speed on some of my gear though I haven't specifically gone out of my way to find it. As long as stun durations are notable, and appear to be occuring frequently enough, it doesn't really matter outside of how much faster a mob might be beat down by him.

Combined with what I'd consider the frequent occurence of pulverize in combination with the stuns, well, it pretty much takes whatever hefty mob is focused on right out of the fight. That is the point, really. I want to disable and neutralize the meanest fellow in the bunch while simply surviving long enough to watch the rest of them burn down to nothing.