PDA

View Full Version : Fast vs slow weapon, same DPS

Poinas
03-14-2007, 12:24 PM
Let's say I have a weapon with 100 average damage and 100% attack speed resulting in 100 DPS. Then I would have another weapon with 75 avg dmg and 133% as, resulting 100 dps. This weapon has 15% piercing dmg. Which one is better, purely based on this information?

Here are some calculations, corrections can be made.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u14/Poinas/SlowvsFast-1.jpg

The last table is damage in 6 seconds, assuming with 100% AS you make one hit per second. So you get 6 swings with the slow weapon, and 8 with the fast one.

The calculations go like this: 100 dmg, 60 armor -> 40 direct dmg and 60*0,33 after armor absorption, result 60 dmg done in one second. 360 dmg in 6 seconds.

And for the faster weapon, 75 dmg, 60 armor -> 75*0.15*0,75=8.44 pierce dmg with 25% pierce resistance, + 75*0,85-60=3,75 physical dmg over armor value, + 60*0,33=19,8 dmg after armor absorption, total = 8,44 + 3,75 + 19,8 = 32 dmg, 256 in 6 seconds.

Ofcourse when the skills with % to occur come to play, the faster weapon gains some. But this comparison consentrates only on the damage of the weapon.

What do you think?

Krazikarl
03-14-2007, 09:24 PM
Well, there are a lot of problems with this type of analysis. First off, what you assume for resists completely dictates what results you get. You've assumed 25% pierce resist and no physical damage resistance. If you flip the value, then your results become very different. In your analysis, piercing damage is actually bad, which makes the results rather suspect to me.

Anyway, in the fast vs slow debate, common sense will do a lot more than a calculation here. If you do enough damage so that you are killing quickly, then you probably want a fast weapon (to illustrate with an extreme example, if you have 10 monsters with 1 hp, you want the fast weapon to kill them the most quickly). On the other hand, if you are doing things like phantom strike or shield charge a lot, you want the slow weapon. If you have damage that goes over time (burn, poison, electrical), then you probably want a slower weapon since that gives the damage more time to work between swings. Basically, its a personal preference.

The Rock-man
03-15-2007, 09:27 AM
WHY have you used resistance in this comparison?
Well the 2 Items are equal for DPS, in the end it comes down to can you 1 hit the mob, with the weapon or not, if cant 1 hit second weapon better.
After this what Skill procs you have, onslaught, CS, PT and shield procs etc.