PDA

View Full Version : Newbie piercing question

Kilerien
03-14-2007, 09:59 AM
I can't seem to locate the following information:

What exactly is piercing damage? Is it simply another damage type like vitaility/fire/lightning etc.? Does it come from specific weapons or can any weapon have piercing dmg modifiers? If something says 20% piercing dmg does that mean if you would hit for 100 dmg you get 20 percent of that so you hit for 120 dmg?

Basically, I just don't "get it" like I do with fire dmg etc.

Whisk33
03-14-2007, 10:06 AM
It gets inflicted like fire dmg. It does not go through the armor reduction but only the resistances... The knowledge thread in the spoiler section might help here. OR maybe The Hunter FAQs posted by Felexitus...
Any weapon can do pierce.. It needs to have the pierce percentage listed though... Usually only Swords, spears, and bows. Though there is the Thorny Maul. Most Spears and bows have a 25% pierce dmg. Do you take the dmg from the bow multiply that by your str then 25%of that dmg will be done as pierce which is then mutiplied by your dexterity and then dealt to the enemy. (The dmg isnt directly multiplied by your str and dex, if you want to calculate exactly how much dmg you are doing you are going to have to search harder. I am just trying to help you understand how it works)

Having weapons that do pierce dmg is very nice you can see becuase it gets boasted by your stats twice. Once by str and then again by dex. Though on the downside pierce is the most commonly resisted type of dmg... (though if you take into account armor and general dmg resistance I wonder if flat dmg doesnt actually come through on top... oh well.)
Does that answer your questions?

Kilerien
03-14-2007, 10:50 AM
Yes Whisk and thanks. I'll go browse through the knowledge section more as well.