PDA

View Full Version : Please explain DW to me

Bene Gesserit
03-12-2007, 07:29 PM
Why is it when I equip a club and a shield I get more attack speed than a club and a sword...and the sword gives +16% attk spd? Also what does % chance to "use" mean in the actual DW skill? I heard it's only dmg with one weapon, so what does "use" mean?

Infares
03-12-2007, 07:37 PM
When dual wielding, you have a % chance to attack with both weapons simultaneously (technically you attack with right/left in that order but it's a single attack incorporating both weapons), otherwise you attack randomly with either your main hand or sub hand.

The other % procs in the dual wield tree add their attacks to the usual random swinging action and possible double hit.

The act of dual wielding is a more involved process than using weapon/shield, so it lowers your apparent attack speed but you actually do more damage over time because of the % procs not being included in your tooltip DPS, plus some weapon bonuses apply to both weapons regardless of what hand you attack with and most of said bonuses are more offensive in nature than those on shields.

Bene Gesserit
03-12-2007, 08:03 PM
Thanks! Question, does it matter if I put a slower weapon in my main hand? Does weapon type matter? Sorry, used to be a WoW player.

Infares
03-12-2007, 08:27 PM
I think for one shot attacks like rogue's Lethal Strike you want your more damaging (and by extension, usually slower) weapon in your main hand, otherwise if you're say, using a weapon that lowers resists (such as Sapros the Corrupter or a -Betrayer weapon) you want it in the main hand so it procs first on attacks like War Wind and a standard Dual Wield proc so follow-up attacks get the benefit of the reduced resists. Otherwise I think the game averages your attack speed between the two weapons, more like Final Fantasy XI than WoW.