PDA

View Full Version : Strongest Damage Type

hedgewitch
03-12-2007, 06:09 PM
I've been playing Titan Quest for several months, just working up to Legendary with two chars--I'm getting to the point where I really need to max my damage.

My question is--what is the best route for all types of monsters. Is it better to have pure physical damage, pure elemental damage, leech damage??? A combination of the above? And what exactly is vitality damage? Does it work on Undead?

I have scoured the net for a site like diabloII.net that has a compendium of game facts like this but I guess because the game is so new nothing like this seems to exist--so I'm asking to pick your brains instead.:nerd:

Seriously--any strategic help would be appreciated.

Shadow_azzazen
03-12-2007, 06:30 PM
If you are looking for PURE DMG, a dual weilding thorny maul slayer is the best class to pick. In other words, peircing(with skills/buffs) is the best dmg source, but you might encounter some problems with undeads becaus they are quit good vs peircing dmg.

hedgewitch
03-12-2007, 06:44 PM
Thanks, S.a.
What I'm trying to do is tweak my damage up (have a Guardian and a Brigand) on weapon choices and charms/relics. At the moment I have an awesome compendium of different damage types going on so it's hard to tell what is doing the job. The Brigand is a lot easier to run with, and now I know it's because of the piercing thing.

My Guardian's just picked up a strong vitality damage weapon, so I was trying to figure out what, if anything, it brought to the table.

Darth Executor
03-12-2007, 06:50 PM
Vitality's not that good because it's not increased by any attribute and undead are resistant to it. IMO, elemental is the best damage since it combines all 3 elements and running into monsters highly resistant to even one of them is rare. However, very few items actually grant raw elemental damage, and you'd probably have to melee with an Elementalist to get full benefits.

Infares
03-12-2007, 07:27 PM
Elemental damage is 33% Fire, Ice, and Lightning though and most elemental damage is in pretty small amounts.

Vitality damage requires specific classes to use properly and Guardian isn't really one of them. Oracle and Diviner are probably the best to use it because they can even make undead susceptible to it with their ability to reduce resistances, plus they actually have an attack that does pure Vitality Damage (Life Drain).

I can see Guardian doing a bunch of damage relying on Plague and synergies maxed out, using Wolves and given enough + skill gear, Nymph and taking a weapon like Orion's Mace that does a bunch of different damage types at the same time. Thorny Maul is good too but Plague helps more with regular damage than piercing damage.

hedgewitch
03-12-2007, 08:52 PM
Appreciate the input, all. You've helped a lot. I have so many different damage types in the soup that it's hard to tell what's doing what at any given time.

Thanks for the clarification on vitality damage--I was thinking it sounded similar to life leech & would be useless on Undead but wasn't sure.

I've been working on maxing out my Wolves, and the Nymph of course does do elemental damage with her passive higher skill, so she is becoming pretty kickass. I have nothing in Plague--will try it out.

(And hopefully my copy of IT will be in the mail tomorrow!)

Thanks again :)

Infares
03-12-2007, 09:00 PM
Appreciate the input, all. You've helped a lot. I have so many different damage types in the soup that it's hard to tell what's doing what at any given time.

Thanks for the clarification on vitality damage--I was thinking it sounded similar to life leech & would be useless on Undead but wasn't sure.

I've been working on maxing out my Wolves, and the Nymph of course does do elemental damage with her passive higher skill, so she is becoming pretty kickass. I have nothing in Plague--will try it out.

(And hopefully my copy of IT will be in the mail tomorrow!)

Thanks again :)

Plague is like Death Juice from Concentrate. IMO one of the best skills in the game, especially after the 1.30 patch changed how it spreads. Before one plagued monster could spread it to one other monster per tick, now it pretty much spreads AOE style. Wolves and Nymph both tear right through Plagued mobs and the mobs themselves slow way down thanks to Fatigue. Plague's main skill is strictly to increase the duration, whereas Fatigue is there for the blanket slow and Susceptibility is the true meat of the spell.

Occasionally Fatigue will proc a massive % HP down effect which helps a ton in large battles.

hedgewitch
03-12-2007, 10:01 PM
AOE would definitely be a godsend. Time to visit the Mystic man. I'll have to wait for the real crowd control til I install the expansion as I haven't patched to 1.30.

One of the things I really like about TQ is that you can use reallocation of skills almost like a trainer(once you hit a high enough level) so you can try various builds as well as atone for your earlier foolishness. :)

Minervian
03-12-2007, 11:08 PM
I have a level 63 champion with Plague and synergies nearly maxed out - I can attest 101% to its debuffing prowess and the way it makes almost any weapon you wield effective.

Icenode
03-13-2007, 12:22 AM
Does melee/caster hybrids using elemental damage become less effective in the harder difficulties? In the low levels my Juggernaut using batter+rend armor and earth enchantment just levels crouds of creatures. Is this a strategy I should look at changing early on before I get to the harder difficulties and realize it no longer works?

Infares
03-13-2007, 01:13 AM
Juggernaut is far from worthless, you just have to realize that you can use stoneform under Adrenaline/Rally and get a ton of HP regen, and also as long as you're not being hit with fire attacks you get the 15% damage absorption from Heat Shield indefinitely for just 1 skill point.

Also, Eruption and Volcanic Orb+Frag do physical damage which is boosted by both Brimstone and Strength in general. Brimstone is more important than Earth Enchantment until you have either Orb or Eruption IMO. One juggie strat that may work is fighting like normal until Adrenaline procs, then cast Rally, throw down an Eruption, and standing in the middle of it in stone form. You heal back all the HP you just lost and enemies take extra damage from Defiance as they hit you.

Resilience's - recharge affect only affects Adrenaline in 1.30, but the more you proc Adrenaline the more you can regenerate HP and you get a damage bonus from Defensive Reaction which, of course, increases fragment damage on Eruption and VO+Frag. I suggest Eruption but the stun from Fragmentation with Concussive Blow and a good club like Haphaestus would also be really really good.