PDA

View Full Version : Effect of "petrify"

devnull
03-11-2007, 10:35 AM
Hi all,

I'm currently starting a new character - a contact ritualist - and I wondered what the exact effect of petrification (in Temporal Rift) was. Does it provide the target with any kind of protection, like storm's Freezing Blast ?

Regards,

R.

Darth Executor
03-11-2007, 11:30 AM
As far as I can tell, no protection. They just become paralyzed.

Bene Gesserit
03-12-2007, 02:00 PM
What's the difference between petrify and stun? There is a buff you can get in the dream mastery that makes distort reality petrify your victims for 1.5 instead of stun for 1.5. If they are the same, how is it a buff?

Krazikarl
03-12-2007, 04:02 PM
The thought has been that if you hit somebody who is petrified, its always a critical hit. To the best of my knowledge, this has never been confirmed, but it seems to be plausible based on what I've seen in my characters.

Darth Executor
03-12-2007, 04:25 PM
What's the difference between petrify and stun? There is a buff you can get in the dream mastery that makes distort reality petrify your victims for 1.5 instead of stun for 1.5. If they are the same, how is it a buff?

I haven't actually confirmed the following 100%, they're based on my experience (when I actually pay attention to what I'm doing). Petrify doesn't seem to affect large monsters while stun does. Petrify and stun also seem to stack, so after the petrify is done, the enemy will also be stunned for that duration, so if you can use both, do it.

Darth Executor
03-12-2007, 10:05 PM
After some more testing:

I was wrong about one thing, the stun does not stack with petrify.

Distort reality's synergy extends the length of petrify however, so it's gonna be more useful than it's stun.

I was right about stun affecting more creatures than petrify. Petrify does not seem to work on any boss (since they're large), although I haven't tried it on alastor or that terra cotta mage. Stun works on some.

Petrify does not guarantee a critical hit.

Infares
03-13-2007, 01:27 AM
So rather than guarantee a crit it just hacks their Defensive Ability badly?

Darth Executor
03-13-2007, 01:29 AM
I can't be sure, my character gets lots of criticals regardless of petrify. I do know that there have been hits on petrified enemies without them.