PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with equipment questions

Shanrak
03-10-2007, 08:47 PM
This is my first character and so far I managed to make my way through normal with my trapping-duel wielding assassin using random bits and pieces of armor I've picked up. However, it'd be nice if I can get some general idea of how much armor I should be having with my character at various difficulties. xxx armor when fighting typhoon in normal, yyy in act 2 epic, etc. (I'm currently at delphi in epic and my assassin has 550 armor, is this okay or too low?) I can get it up to 650 if I switch out my arm piece for something higher armored but I lose out on some bonuse (see below)

I also have a specific question;

I found some stormbinder's cuffs +15% elemental resist +8% poison resist, and +1 to all skills 38 armor in act1 of normal and I've been using it ever since. However now I'm in act1 of epic and I've noticed that the average armor for the arm slot can go up to 170s. So my question is is the extra 100 armor worth losing 15% elemental resistance and +1 to all skills?

The Rock-man
03-11-2007, 09:52 AM
That 100 extra armor is upto 60 extra phys damage absorbed, but this is not really worth losing the other resistances for.

MR2_Pilot
03-11-2007, 10:00 AM
IMO - Keep your resists as high as you can.

Shanrak
03-11-2007, 10:51 AM
I found that out the hard way, Talos and his burning attack totally destroyed me lol

Darth Executor
03-11-2007, 03:00 PM
I found that out the hard way, Talos and his burning attack totally destroyed me lol

An alternative to resisting his burning attack is to move out of the way.

Shanrak
03-11-2007, 05:27 PM
man, this game sure likes to give me hard equipment choices,
+10% experience helm or +1 skill and ~30 resistance to fire and lightning and + damage helm :knockout:

Infares
03-11-2007, 09:31 PM
The second one.

The Rock-man
03-12-2007, 05:44 AM
Keep the XP helm though for when handing in quests, as that were the big safe XP is.

lothos
03-13-2007, 08:24 AM
I found a -50% health +31% exp helm last night. :)

The Rock-man
03-13-2007, 10:48 AM
Again best used for when handing in quests.

lothos
03-13-2007, 10:57 AM
Again best used for when handing in quests.

I will. never thought of equipping before quest turn in though. Thanks.

The Rock-man
03-13-2007, 11:03 AM
TBH equip all XP items you can before handing quest in, at 10K+ per quest that a big boost and who cares about having only 1 hp if your not taking damage?

lothos
03-13-2007, 11:07 AM
This was the first xp item I've ever seen though. Are they more common than that?

The Rock-man
03-15-2007, 07:26 AM
They are more common now than they were i seen 3 in normal (IT 1.1) where as before i never seen one (TQ upto 1.20)

Shanrak
03-15-2007, 10:11 AM
couple of more questions if someone can kindly answer them :D

1. Damage resistance vs damage absorption, what exactly is the difference? If I have 100% damage resistance, will I be invincible? Ditto with damage absorption.

2. The defender skill that boosts armor absorption, what exactly is armor absorption? How is it different from question 1?

3. +elemental damage, if this mod is on weapons, does the weapons gain an additional damage boost of the %, or will a part of the damage be converted to elemental, or will it do nothing for normal attacks and only boost elemental spells and stuff? Ditto with piercing and all that.

4. I found an epic ring in IT with +46 damage for pets and +10% damage boost to pets, do traps count as pets? This will make my trapper assassin more interesting again ;)

5. +x% total speed, what exactly is included in total speed boost? I know attack/walk/cast speeds, but what about recharge and shield block speeds?

6. Does armor protect vs elemental damage at all? What about damage reduction things like the ones in question 1 or ones that give flat out damage reduction of 20 or something.

Thanks for answering.

Whisk33
03-15-2007, 11:49 AM
I'll answer what I can

1. I think dmg reisstance is for physical dmg and dmg absorbtion is something that applies to the final value that is deducted from your health... not feelin confident though..

3. +100elemental dmg will give you an additional 100dmg to your attacks. (I'm not sure if this is increased by your int, but I would assume that it is)
+14%elemental will increase you elemental dmg by 14% if you have no elemental dmg then this will increase nothing by 14% which is still... nothing. If you had both stats then you would deal an extra 114 of elemental dmg (not counting int)

4Traps are pets. In all instances. Auras,skills,etc. FYI Any rogue questions have probably been answered somewhere by Felexitus, he has a couple good long ones...

5. attack/walk/cast are speeds. recharge and shield blcok cooldowns are not speeds. Total speed effects the first three only. Nothing else.

6.No. Armor is for physical dmg. Pierce/fire/cold/lighting/psn/elemental/vitality/energy/lifeleech/(did I miss any) are dealt with by their own resistance values, This is why people suggest keeping your resistances high relative to your armor (especially in the higher difficulties)

BadBreath
03-15-2007, 11:49 AM
2. The defender skill that boosts armor absorption, what exactly is armor absorption? How is it different from question 1?

If I read the knowledge thread correctly, absorption works as follows:
- 60% of any incoming physical damage up to your armour rating is absorbed.
- The 'armour handling' defence skill will increase that 60%.
- Incoming damage that is piercing will bypass your armour rating.
- Incoming damage higher than your armour rating bypasses the armour rating.

So for example:
- a weapon that deals 200 damage with 10% piercing
- 180 physical damage + 20 piercing damage
- armour rating of 150
- 60% of 150 is absorbed = 90
- you take 20 piercing + 60 (out of 150) + 30 (from over armour rating) = 110

Now I might be completely wrong, but I am sure if that is the case someone will correct me. I am playing a conquerer and the first skill in the defence tree I maxed was armour handling.

BB

The Rock-man
03-15-2007, 02:06 PM
Snip

Snip
Thanks for answering.

Answer armor absorption is damage absorption (Physical only) by your armor, it capped at 60-66% of your armor, the defender skill increases this allowing your armor to absorb more damage. (Note only armor for the part the monster hits applies, IE body head arms or legs.)

Shanrak
03-15-2007, 09:18 PM
awsome, that clears up a lot, thanks everyone for answering.

Minervian
03-16-2007, 01:11 AM
From what I understand, DAMAGE RESISTANCE makes a direct deduction from all incoming damage. Eg. if someone hits you (phys, elemental, whatever) for 100 damage and you have 10% damage resistance, the actual BASE damage that you will receive is 90 damage.

After this point, the base 90 damage will be further reduced by your armor, damage absorption, armor absorption, etc.

For this reason, Damage resistance is considered one of the most powerful resistances.

Some items do grant stats like "10% chance for 100% damage resistance" which to me means 10% of the time, you receive absolutely no damage at all. It's as a good as Dodge Attack really.

BTW, I second the +1 skills helm. It's mileage depends on your class. Eg. if you are a champion, adding +1 skills increases your life/resistances (heart of oak), pets' powers and life, your damage, attack speed, stun duration, etc. etc.. You can imagine why I refuse to take off my legendary stonebinders' cuffs with +3 all skills!