PDA

View Full Version : Thinking Of Buying Game, Some Questions

robertsmith1
03-09-2007, 05:39 PM
Hello everyone,

I've already played the Titan Quest demo which I thought was pretty fun. And actually, I just bought the game, but I'm debating opening it for a couple of reasons. I was hoping I could get some input from the active Titan Quest community.

In particular, my questions are about the multiplayer aspect of the game? What is multiplayer like? Is the game replayability greatly extended with multiplayer? How involved is the community in creating new missions, quests and maps with the custom editor?

I'm a big Diablo 1&2 fan. I particularly enjoyed Diablo 2 because of the closed servers that prevented cheating. I know that Titan Quest does not have this. So, I was wondering if there was a way around cheating in the game? Is it easy to join legit groups/guilds to play with? Can you easily identify cheaters and boot them out of your game or choose not to play with them? Or has cheating become rampant in multiplayer with open servers?

Basically, I'm looking for a lot of replayability with multiplayer. I don't have the luxury of playing with a group of friends, so I'll basically be playing with random people on the Internet. If cheating is a big problem, I think I'd have a hard time feeling any truly meaningful experience in MP. And if the custom editor hasn't really taken hold in the community, I'm worried that I'll be stuck playing the same game over and over.

Thanks in advance,

claudius
03-09-2007, 06:39 PM
I guess there can be cheating but no PKing unless you join a game that was painstakingly created to be modified for PvP

So sometimes (at random) you play and there are level 20 guys with super suits on stomping level 40 monsters and you figure hmmm they must be cheating. Some is just a slight edge example relics on unique items (normally impossible).

I personally cheat (technically) because I use a program that allows me to trade gear between my characters. I don't have much loot to begin with so it doesn't matter very much, but some people have 'super suits' as I mentioned above. Level requirements on items have impaired that and I think a mod that removed level requirements would be a notch up on the insidious side of cheating.

In other words its normal to want to not trash the cool templar armor just cause you found it with an illusionist, but you don't want to have all the most powerful gear 20% into the game.

Same deal with creating a map with custom loot. Insidious road to super suit city. I don't know how otherwise people are cheating. I haven't had my stuff stolen :).

On another note, I don't like MP unless I'm up for it because its a faster pace than I play. I like to stop and sip a beer haha. Most treasure hunters kill kill kill run run run. If they are twinked out sometimes your running just to keep up with them killing. Then again sometimes you are with 'lesser heroes' than yourself and you get to be the big bad mo fo and feel all cool as you trash foes you really should find someone tougher.

A final thought: it sucks you into powergaming builds instead of just 'concept characters' (characters that are viable but not among the top 20 builds). This is sad when you think the game offers 225 x {some complicated math} variations when you factor all the possible skill choices you make (of course exclude dufus unbalanced unsynergized characters).

Hope that gives you an idea.

Mac2492
03-09-2007, 08:17 PM
Immortal Throne adds a Caravan person that lets you transfer items between characters, so I guess it's not really cheating to transfer items with TQVault.

Vince
03-09-2007, 09:15 PM
It's hard to get Immortal Throne in Mexico, but while I'm working on it, I have a question:

When you start, is it as difficult as Epic level in TQ? I am well-advanced in the Epic level (got a legendary suit of armor yesterday); can I start IT on the Epic level, or do I have to beat the Normal level first?

Thanks for any help.

Infares
03-09-2007, 09:20 PM
Act IV Normal is as tough as Act I in epic used to be, and now the whole epic difficulty is harder by extension, and Legendary is probably much harder now because instead of legendary greece being the 7th "act" in the whole game it's now the 9th.

Mac2492
03-10-2007, 12:10 AM
Act IV Normal is as tough as Act I in epic used to be, and now the whole epic difficulty is harder by extension, and Legendary is probably much harder now because instead of legendary greece being the 7th "act" in the whole game it's now the 9th.

That actually sounds more fun!

robertsmith1
03-10-2007, 01:31 AM
Any more opinions on my multiplayer questions?

Particulary in the difficulty in playing without cheating and how well the community has take to custom maps/quests?

claudius
03-10-2007, 03:22 AM
Its easy to play without cheating....

You just find a game where people are killing things that you can kill...If its not happening then host your own game and YOU pick what to kill :headbang:

I can't contribute to your curiosity about mods and custom content as this is not something that I have sought....sort of like I don't like to eat potato chips out of someone elses bag is what it makes me think of ahhaha

robertsmith1
03-10-2007, 02:03 PM
Well, I'm not sure if that makes it easy to play when you're not cheating. Once you reach a high level, you'll be killing the exact same things a cheater would, so then there would be no way to ID them.

With regards to custom maps, I guess I'm wondering how close it is to Neverwinter Nights in this regards.

Neverwinter Nights has probably the most active mod/custom map community of any game. One of the coolest things I liked about it, is you could always download a player made quest or story and play it with a bunch of people.

If this could have happened with Diablo 2, I probably would still be playing it.

So, I guess I was hoping that the community had taken to the editor so when I'm done with the original campaign and expansion, I'll have a neverending selection of player made quests and adventures to go on.

The one drawback to NWN was that most maps were created for low level characters. So, you wouldn't appreciate much character continuation as you'd usually have to make a new characer for every quest, otherwise your character would be too overpowered for it.

The Rock-man
03-11-2007, 10:17 AM
There is a New inspect function in Immortal Throne, where you can tell if a guy cheated, at lest Item wise.

As for you Mods/Map quests go to the Mod section of the forums, you find out far more there.

robertsmith1
03-11-2007, 01:10 PM
Oh really? You can detect player cheating item wise? That is great!

Thanks

Infares
03-11-2007, 09:26 PM
I'm under the impression you see their HP, Energy, and stats as well, including how long they've played with the character etc, which all of the above can let you know if they've edited or not, too.

Mac2492
03-12-2007, 03:11 AM
I'm under the impression you see their HP, Energy, and stats as well, including how long they've played with the character etc, which all of the above can let you know if they've edited or not, too.

So now we have to all be detectives when playing this game with other people?

P.S. "The letters you get from monsters with blue writing don't do anything special, they're supposed to be funny."

Hilarious.

Infares
03-12-2007, 08:01 AM
Lol yeah, after seeing the 9308023th thread started about "zmg what does this do?" I thought I should do something since I have posts in 90% of the threads made after december of '06, figured people would run into it in a search and read it and not start a new thread.

Doesn't seem to be working so far.

frankenparrot
03-12-2007, 08:07 AM
The game is what you make of it. There are a lot of people that play legit. So, finding a team is not difficult at all.
For the custom missions/quests...there are quite a few. Just look around this forum and you will find downloadable stuff.

Open the game...and happy gaming :)