PDA

View Full Version : DPS versus Average Damage: which is more important?

Maestro
03-08-2007, 08:37 PM
To clarify the topic, what I am asking is if there are two weapons you have, and one does higher DPS but the other does higher average damage, which one is better to equip?

Why?

Infares
03-08-2007, 08:49 PM
Depends. For general monster killing, your DPS is more important.

For attacks like Phantom Strike your DPS is irrelevant compared to your average damage.

For attacks like Calculated Strike and Psionic Touch DPS arrived at through attack speed bonuses are more important than that derived from your average damage. This concept also applies to Dual Wield and your shield passives as a Defender class.

Felexitus
03-08-2007, 08:59 PM
damage per hit is only more important in one reason: if you reliably kill opponents with the same amount of hits and you can exactly cut a hit by increasing dph(this is important for pierce builds who can easily dish out 20k damage with one hit).

but as long as youre not fighting the same opponents chances are youll need.. say 5 and a half striked for this and 7 for then, 5 3/4 for the other one, you get the deal. in that case youre better off going for dps because you ...well you dish out more damage total over time and thus its far more probable that you killed more opponents.

Infares
03-08-2007, 09:03 PM
Yah. In cases where you're like, a Templar with both Phantom Strike/Dream Stealer and Shield Charge/Disruption, your damage per hit is probably most important cuz you can just whip around from group to group and the few seconds you "waste" with your slow, big weapon hitting individual mobs are more than made up for with your AoE attacks.

Lethal Strike is another attack that benefits more from raw damage potential per hit.

Once you can already kill trash mobs with one hit, adding more damage is useless. 5000+ Damage a hit is probably a good cutoff point, after that increasing your attack speed is probably more important. Most bosses will go down quickly enough as it is.

I die more to trash mobs than bosses anyways.

benderson
03-08-2007, 10:43 PM
I....agree.The trash mobs can drain your health really fast.And high Dps will throw them away in a second.But to fight some high defense monster.It's good to have high Average Damage.