PDA

View Full Version : Is a life-leech based char actually working?

Ganymed
03-08-2007, 04:35 AM
hello,

remembering old Diablo 2 where I was successful creating a life-leech based barbarian I was wondering if such a char would also work in TQ/IT.
there are some purple items (shield/2 rings) giving good bonuses to life leech/attack damage converted to health.
did anybody try out, maybe with a spirit/warfare char, if this may be a strategy to build and survive, especially in higher levels?

best regards

WNxDeathbane
03-08-2007, 05:22 AM
Its hard and some people will say it won't work but with the right gear it should own :happy:
The least thing it will do is boost your survivabillity for sure.
Trying to make a diviner ( dream/spirit ) based on lifestealing while being a pure caster and not strenght based.

Armada
03-08-2007, 05:48 AM
Trying to make a diviner ( dream/spirit ) based on lifestealing while being a pure caster and not strenght based.

Lifesteal caster is very bad imo, only thing that could ever be viable as a lifesteal/drain build would be a dual wield char (Warrior + dream or spirit) or melee based diviner focusing alot on +Max hp and attack speed.

Life stealing casters optimal build would be diviner as you say i guess, but that would require -100% recharge gear wouldnt it?

Ive played a Warrior/Spirit life drain build, but i never got it powerfull enough to not have to use potions.

brimanfu
03-08-2007, 05:57 AM
Works great. I have lvl 16 diviner(spirit+dream)all melee. I found great items to help. +vit dmg, +life leech, +energy drain(%=dmg). one hit to energy based enemies and they are dead, use life leech against melee enemies and they are very soon dead.

LordDivine
03-08-2007, 06:06 AM
My warden is lifeleech based (lvl 60). With 6k+ dps and 17% dmg to health on green spear with relic on it, it works really well....

dmg to health doesn't work on hades and such, so i swap gear for bosses, but for normal mobs cept undead ofc it works great, and imo Warden is one of the best dps melee classes u can make.

Can make a screenshot and upload. Will repost here with it later.

The Rock-man
03-08-2007, 06:43 AM
Diviner is most likely gonna be the best for this due to +%life to heath from ToE in dream, and the -% resist to life steal from deathchill arua tree in Spirit.

also recommend getting Lich King lvl 5+ for his -resist as this makes lifesteal work even on skellys.

Ieldra
03-08-2007, 06:55 AM
I life-leech based caster is feasible, too, but you'll depend heavily on gear. My Warlock is using a green Empyrean Staff with ca. 20% life leech enchanted with an Anubis' relic which adds another 12% or so. Using Ternion Attack and Arcane Lore, I regularly have situations where I regain 25-50% of my health (about 2500 total at L52) from a single (or rather, triple ;)) shot, depending on the number of enemies hit by the blast. I've had situations where I regained 75%, but I'm not too keen on testing if these could be regular, too.

There are some drawbacks for a life-leech based caster: one is undead - you won't get much life back from them. They aren't totally immune if they get into your Deathchill Aura, but as a rule it's a good idea to use the anti-undead skills, which are, BTW, vastly underrated: 45% damage reduction from undead is no joke. The other drawback is your dependence on a good weapon and other life-leech-increasing gear: these items don't usually do much for resistance, so compromises are necessary. Even so, I'm having a lot of fun with my lifestealing Warlock. Between life leech from my weapon and Death Ward, she's surprisingly survivable for her small amount of health.

WNxDeathbane
03-08-2007, 07:05 AM
Basicly im aiming at using distortion wave+ life drain.
And boosting lich+nightmare max.
Hopefully i get the legendary set for spirit/dream aswell :p
Cus thats basicly what i need to wtfpwn everything that moves:pray:

Ieldra
03-08-2007, 07:15 AM
Cus thats basicly what i need to wtfpwn everything that moves:pray:
If I knew what "wtfpwn" is, I would know what you'd like to do. I can imagine, OK, but would you please translate nonetheless?

damador
03-08-2007, 07:31 AM
Urban Dictionary: wtfpwn (http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=wtfpwn)
WTFPWN - What does WTFPWN stand for? Acronyms and abbreviations by the Free Online Dictionary. (http://acronyms.thefreedictionary.com/WTFPWN)

wtfpwn - Szukaj w Google (http://www.google.pl/search?q=wtfpwn&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a)

Mindless
03-08-2007, 07:34 AM
Lifesteal caster is very bad imo, only thing that could ever be viable as a lifesteal/drain build would be a dual wield char (Warrior + dream or spirit) or melee based diviner focusing alot on +Max hp and attack speed.

Don't know if we are playing the same game.

I got 10% damage / HP conversion from Phobos and Deimos (Children of Ares set) on my Conqueror and I can pretty much skip using potions because my lifedrain is so high. My hits do anything between 3000 and 8000 each hit which results in 300-800 HP healed with each attack, and that is far more than any monster can do in damage on me. Add to that that the shield and gloves give life leech retaliation (like 120 over 3 sec).

I'm using a shield and club and I'm doing fine so far.

WNxDeathbane
03-08-2007, 07:34 AM
bwhaha perfect ! :D
thnx for clearing it out hehe

Infares
03-08-2007, 02:48 PM
Lucid Dream also enhances the damage dealt by Life Drain with a Diviner.

Between maxed Deathchill/Necrosis and Lucid Dream, and eventually Dark Covenant and Unearthly Power, if you can get your Recharge down this strategy obliterates everything in range of Deathchill and makes a great compliment and synergy (in the literal sense rather than the ingame meaning) to Phantom Strike.

This build allows WoW Warlock style drain tanking.

I3LaaR
03-14-2007, 05:51 AM
Which trance to you go for then :

ToE or ToW ?

The Rock-man
03-14-2007, 06:25 AM
Well if using life drain use ToW, as after all Life Drain already 100% damage to health, and also -30% resist is better than 3-10% extra damage to health in this case.

If using a weapon (preferably mêlée) ToE is likely to be better IMO, though depends on your over mods IE if you got a fair amount of damage to health items ToW may still be better.

Armada
03-14-2007, 12:30 PM
Don't know if we are playing the same game.

I got 10% damage / HP conversion from Phobos and Deimos (Children of Ares set) on my Conqueror and I can pretty much skip using potions because my lifedrain is so high. My hits do anything between 3000 and 8000 each hit which results in 300-800 HP healed with each attack, and that is far more than any monster can do in damage on me. Add to that that the shield and gloves give life leech retaliation (like 120 over 3 sec).

I'm using a shield and club and I'm doing fine so far.

Read my post over again, im telling that a life stealing CASTER is bad not melee, you are just explaining what i already stated - that a MELEE lifestealer build works fine :) While a CASTER focusing on lifesteal is pretty pointless.

Poinas
03-14-2007, 12:38 PM
Ternion + Deathchill + ..of the Betrayer + 2 skills to all = Full health all the time. Mages are far from pointless with dmg to life.

Btw, do attack dmg to health items stack? I thought they dont.

userextra
03-15-2007, 05:06 AM
i have a lvl 60 spellbreaker that runs around with a cyclops club of the betrayer and a sapros so i lifeleech everywhere and everything including undead and constructs since i have so much -resists...i have 3k hp and ard 2k dps and my primary resists are OK since i basically leech everything back before they can do much damage. Stun resistance is a must though since you dun gain life if you dun hit...Havent died since in legendary (except once when i died to the mage boss in chang-an). worst enemies are one shotters, % life dmgers (read cyclops) and spirit liches (which are slightly more painful).

Hope this clarifies about melee characters. as for mages, i feel that the deathchill aura is too small to be of use since u prefer to be at a distance when hitting monsters.

Ganymed
03-15-2007, 05:53 AM
For me it was running well with my Ranger and a relic-enhanced green bow with 15% dmg converted to health together with the purple "necklace of harmony" (19% dmg converted to health).
that means 33% dmg converted with about 2000 dps and 8000 health and 200% attack speed.
Its not exactly "life-leech" but it works, with the exception of undead and constructs. well, for these I need potions.

But I noticed in IT I need "study prey" more than ever before in TQ. almost every mob has resistances here.

partyboy
03-15-2007, 07:27 AM
so people still think life leech casters are crap? i'm determined to try and make one work. i played a shadow priest in WoW, and i see some similarities. you need good gear and have to tank. the addition of dream should make it a lot easier. it's my pet project.

tachyonx
03-16-2007, 01:20 PM
pretty much if u wan a life-leech based char, a spirit + another class is the way to go, preferred melee.. i have a melee spellbreaker with 46% dmg convert to health. and pretty much rox.. =p using deathchill aura max will even leech life from skeletons and traps