PDA

View Full Version : Resolved! Issues with 7800's, dual core processors, and 8 series forceware

-Aerows-
02-22-2006, 12:33 PM
I know this doesn't affect Titan Quest (since it isn't out, and also why I put it in off-topic), but it probably affects other games you might be playing, such as Dungeon Siege 2, Neverwinter Nights, and the games I mention in the post below that brought the issue to light.

There is an issue with the 8 series of forceware drivers, Geforce 7800's and dual core cpus. It affects both AMD and Intel systems with dual core processors. The 8 Series is multiprocessor aware but apparently awareness does not translate into functionality.

You can find more information here: http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=9875&st=0&p=63484&#entry63484

I discovered it when I got my new Dell I9400 with the Geforce 7800 go and a duo core proc. Sacred was playable, but there were these weird little hitches, and fighting the ice elves was a slide show. I knew that my machine *should* not be doing this, but I didn't figure out the depth of the problem until I tried to play KoToR on it. I couldn't make it past the load screen. I resolved both my troubles with Sacred/Sacred Underworld and both KoToR's by rolling back to forceware 77.77. There are also some registry tweaks you can do, as well, but I personally preferred to just use an earlier driver and wait for Microsoft/nVidia to address it in later driver releases.

I hope this helps some of you that are having problems with shiny new systems :)

Twisted13
03-23-2006, 10:03 PM
Well send this info in and they will probably updated it with their next drivers. New video cards are kinda buggy and sluggish at the beginning and we all know the drivers is what makes the video card!