PDA

View Full Version : Playing with people who don't have It?

Howie
03-07-2007, 12:02 AM
I'm guessing since I upgraded to Im and my friend didn't I can't play with them online any longer till they purchase the expansion? If so thats pretty dumb. I'm pretty sure even when D2 expansion came out you could still play with people who didn't get it.

Infares
03-07-2007, 06:45 AM
I'm guessing since I upgraded to Im and my friend didn't I can't play with them online any longer till they purchase the expansion?

Nope.

If so thats pretty dumb. I'm pretty sure even when D2 expansion came out you could still play with people who didn't get it.

Nope.

MR2_Pilot
03-07-2007, 07:28 AM
On all other games I've played online, you can play either the expansion or the original, depending on which disk you start up with or which version of the game you choose.

So with TQ, if you install IT, you can't go back and play just TQ?

That sucks! :(

Peteoclese
03-07-2007, 07:53 AM
You always have the option of installing TQ back at the 1.2 patch to play with others until TQ:IT becomes widely released.
Keep in mind that the expansion (which is verrry nice) adds a whole slew of new loot and goodies that would not be understood by the old version.
'other' games that added new content typically required everyone to be on the same page as well.
Ah, the bleeding edge of gaming goodness! :D

Nevermore
03-07-2007, 03:26 PM
You can play with your friend if you run the executable for the original TQ instead of the Immortal Throne executable. Running the original TQ exe will run your TQ patched up to 1.3, so as long as he is patched up to 1.3 you should be good to go.

MR2_Pilot is correct about being able to play both.

Infares
03-07-2007, 03:28 PM
You can play with him if you run the executable for the original TQ instead of the Immortal Throne executable. Running the original TQ exe will run your TQ patched up to 1.3, so as long as he is patched up to 1.3 you should be good to go.

You'd need to start a new character for TQ 1.3 because you can't play an Immortal Throne converted character in normal TQ. Even then you'd have to keep the character as normal TQ and not convert it until the other people have Immortal Throne or Titan Quest won't recognize it any more.

Nevermore
03-07-2007, 03:37 PM
His old character should still be playable in the original TQ at the same state where he last played it before converting the character to Immortal Throne. So he doesn't necessarily have to make a new character.

Yes, anything he does in IT is completely separate from the TQ character after converting.

Basically, converting the character just makes another copy of the character for Immortal Throne use only and stores it in the Immortal Throne My Games folder.

Infares
03-07-2007, 03:39 PM
His old character should still be playable in the original TQ at the same state where he last played it before converting the character to Immortal Throne. So he doesn't necessarily have to make a new character.

Yes, anything he does in IT is completely separate from the TQ character after converting.

Basically, converting the character just makes another copy of the character for Immortal Throne use only and stores it in the Immortal Throne My Games folder.

So the game has two versions tracked separately once you install IT, one in TQ Proper and the other in the Immortal Throne folders? Interesting.

MR2_Pilot
03-07-2007, 03:40 PM
^^ That sounds more like it, at least that's the way practically all games with expansions are set up.

Nevermore
03-07-2007, 03:46 PM
So the game has two versions tracked separately once you install IT, one in TQ Proper and the other in the Immortal Throne folders? Interesting.

Yeah, it keeps the TQ characters in the Titan Quest My Games folder and the IT characters in the Immortal Throne My Games folder. :rockon:

It's the same with going between Custom and Main game, if a character has been converted to Custom games, then it essentially becomes a duplicate character that is completely separate.

Infares
03-07-2007, 03:49 PM
Hmm, there might be exploits there.

Tarkhan
03-07-2007, 05:41 PM
Yeah, they keep the two separate in most games with expansions. Excepting, of course, persistent-world MMO style games (World of Warcraft players still exist in the same world as players using a Burning Crusade client) This is also true for Everquest, and it's zillions of expansions.

Duraska
03-08-2007, 03:04 AM
My friend has the expansion and I don't (yet). We had our Wednesday night online game last night and it went perfectly fine. He just used his TQ DVD instead of his IT DVD.