PDA

View Full Version : Error when installing disc 2

BadDayMotorcade
06-29-2006, 01:19 PM
Hey, I've been trying to figure this out since I got this thing, so I'm just gonna copy and paste my post on vnboards and see if anyone here can help me out since no one has any advice for me there apparently.

Every time I try to install the game, in the same spot every time, when installing disc 2, I get an error message that reads exactly as it does below. I cleared my temp files, so it's not that...I'm just lost, any suggestions? I just paid 50 bucks I couldn't even afford for this game because I've been following since it was announced pretty much. :

Titan Quest error (CD-ROM Version)

Titan Quest - InstallShield Wizard (when installing 2nd disc)

InstallShield has encountered an error.
I have to click Ok.

Then it says: Windows - Wrong Volume

The wrong volume is in drive. Please insert volume TQ 1 into Drive D:.

If I do this, obviously, installation starts over, happens every time.

Here's my system specs:

eMachines
AMD Athlon XP 3200+
1024 MB RAM
Radeon 9550 AGP 256MB
Using DX 9.0c as well as service pack 2

I have the latest catalyst and just updated the sound driver.....wtf is going on? Any suggestions that help fix this, I'll build a shrine to you on a good map I create for the game:rockon: .

Thanks,

-D

BadDayMotorcade
06-29-2006, 01:22 PM
Specifically, the file it keeps getting stuck on during 2nd disc is while it says

Program files\thq\titan quest\resources\creatures.arc

Not sure if that helps, but man....I'm getting tired and just simply don't possess the knowledge to go further with my efforts. I've talked with several people who are having the EXACT same problem on the 2nd disc on those same files while installing....so that tells me it's most likely NOT a faulty disc.

Thanks for any help again, in advance,

-D

~V~
06-29-2006, 01:25 PM
Hello BadDayMotorcade,

Pardon me if I am asking obvious questions, but have you tried to install to a different directory, and have you defragged your hard drive recently?

You could also try copying the files from disc 2 to a directory on your hard drive and pointing to that directory when the installer prompts you for disc 2.

BadDayMotorcade
06-29-2006, 01:39 PM
I'll try that when I get home, but I know others with similar problems have tried exactly that to no avail. First I'm gonna try to trade my copy for a DVD version of the game if I can though. I'm sure if all that fails I'll be back to cry about it some more :) haha, I want to play sooooo badly, been waiting on this game for a while....sucks that it's the only game I've ever had any problems with at all.

Thanks,

-D

BadDayMotorcade
06-29-2006, 04:13 PM
Ok, tried that, didn't work, now what???? I even exchanged for another copy, still no go, can't even get a refund. I'm getting pretty frustrated, as I've tried every viable solution that may work, and still no go. I PAYED OVER 50 BUCKS FOR THIS??? There are quite a few people having this EXACT problem as I am and not one of us has been helped with something that allowed us to even finish installing. We don't even have similar system specs as one another. I've never, EVER had any trouble with any game....which for the record, I have a huge collection of games.

I'd at least like to get this thing on my computer, then I can start experiencing all the OTHER problems everyone is having.....yay. You guys needed to test this game ALOT more before releasing this crap, I hope you realize this is probably the most bug ridden game of the past few years. Shame too.

Karmeck
06-29-2006, 04:29 PM
download the dvd version tehn and use ure payd for key.

chooch709
06-29-2006, 04:29 PM
Why didn't it work, you got an error trying to copy files from the CD to your hard drive?

FattyLumpkin
06-29-2006, 04:49 PM
Hi. While it installed ok for me on the first machine I bought a second copy for the secondary machine (muling). However, I got the exact same error as you BUT on the 4th disk with a textures file. The error is known by microsoft so I put the URL below. Sadly, this dis not help me as I can not find the 1005 ID tag they tell me to open. I feel your pain and hope we can find some additional insight on this one.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=884070

lucasgarsha
06-29-2006, 04:57 PM
One suggestion about re-installs in general...

In addition to clearing out temp files, we usually run Windows System Restore to a point before the original install. InstallShield sometimes leaves junk in the registry.

FattyLumpkin
06-29-2006, 05:30 PM
System Restore for this? Bleck!

Ok, worse yet, is that the machine I am using has 2, count em 2, hard drives and it does the same thing in the same place on the other hard drive as well. This is bad.

lucasgarsha
06-29-2006, 05:50 PM
System Restore is a very minor trick in Windows, actually. It is reversible, and takes only a minute or two. It mainly affects the registry.

Edit: I mean the "System Restore" application, not an OS reload, if it wasn't clear. Its on XP under Accessories > System Tools and restore points are automatically created whenever you run an install. Great little program actually.

FattyLumpkin
06-29-2006, 06:48 PM
Ok, thanks. I guess I'm just getting lazy...especially when I feel like this should "Just Work!" For me its a lesser problem in that the install went ok with my primary machine. The origional poster has a serious complaint on his hands since he can not even play the game.

I wish we could download the game someplace and just use the CD Key to prove we purchased it.

FattyLumpkin
06-29-2006, 07:04 PM
Two things...

First, the dumb question. Does a restore do it all? Because, since then I did a windows update, defraged, and uninstalled something. Heh.

Two, on the related instructions provided by Microsoft it says to find this file,

"Search for an event with a source of Application Error and an event ID of 1005."

...but its not there. Bleh. So if that is an attempt at a fix now what? The complete instructions are at the following URL.

Thanks.

lucasgarsha
07-02-2006, 11:10 PM
I don't claim to know everything that System Restore does, but my understanding is that it replaces the current Windows registry with a backup that was made at the last "Restore Point". It leaves the files on disk, and doesn't erase data. Whether or not the Windows Update will stick, I don't know for certain, but I suspect it would stick, because Windows updates are often Dlls used by Windows and not registry changes (but if memory serves there is a list in the registry of installed HotFixes, so ???). Revisit the Windows Update Website after a System Restore (and one would hope) that Microsoft thought of that situation. If you find that things are not right, undo the System Restore.

Disk Fragmentation will be generally not be affected by System Restore.

That knowledge base article seems focused on Hard Disk problems (though the title suggests otherwise). It sounds like you might have a CD media problem, but I suggested trying System Restore because when installs go bad, there is very often junk left behind on the system that will prevent further installs from succeeding, even if the media is perfect. I've seen this happen to the point where System Restore is the only thing that will work short of reloading the system, which you obviously don't want to do (nor would I).

Xenosmilus
07-02-2006, 11:57 PM
It's possible the copy protection system securom may be causing the file copy to fail. I saw this with Unreal Tournament 2004. You could try ending all background tasks, or doing a diagnostic startup with startup items disabled in order to check that some other process isn't interacting in an unhelpful way with it, as it seems to be a bit touchy in my experience.

To do a diagnostic startup you need to run msconfig, then select diagnostic startup, and allow a reboot after hitting ok. Be aware that to return your system to its normal configuration again you need to run msconfig, select normal startup and allow your computer to restart again. I wouldn't advise trying this unless you feel confident about it though.

Doombunny
07-14-2006, 05:22 PM
Any idea where I can find a mirror to download the full copy of the game, as the information on my disks is corrupt? (data3.cab, specifically creatures.arc)

Doombunny
07-14-2006, 05:29 PM
You could also try copying the files from disc 2 to a directory on your hard drive and pointing to that directory when the installer prompts you for disc 2.

I just tried this as well, unsuccessfully.

When it came time to copy the corrupt portion of (in my case data3.cab) I recieved an error:

-Error Copying File or Folder-
Cannot copy data3: Data error (cyclic redundancy check)

There you have it. Not new information, but at least more to go by.

SaintAugustus
08-02-2006, 11:46 PM
Hi. While it installed ok for me on the first machine I bought a second copy for the secondary machine (muling). However, I got the exact same error as you BUT on the 4th disk with a textures file. The error is known by microsoft so I put the URL below. Sadly, this dis not help me as I can not find the 1005 ID tag they tell me to open. I feel your pain and hope we can find some additional insight on this one.

I had the exact same problem with disc 2 and all that jazz. This really did work, if you follow steps posted on the microsoft website. Good luck, and God Bless, ya.

Azuriel
08-03-2006, 12:09 AM
Hence why DVD's exists now! :P

Kris Rhodes
10-14-2006, 09:46 PM
I had the exact same problem with disc 2 and all that jazz. This really did work, if you follow steps posted on the microsoft website. Good luck, and God Bless, ya.

I don't see how the stuff posted at the MS site you mentioned could help. It tells me to do a chkdsk on the bad media in order to repair it. Well, in this case, the bad media is a read-only CD. This can't be repaired with chkdsk.

-Kris

dms0
12-04-2006, 12:27 AM
I've said this before, but the only way I got around the problem was to download a warez version of the game and use that for installation purposes.

The game installs OK on my laptop, though, so the problem has to be with my computer.