PDA

View Full Version : Pets in IT

moongoose
03-06-2007, 04:30 AM
After reading the difficulty was increased in IT, I am asking me if pets are still usefull (especially in legendary). The monsters should have a better KI, ignoring the pets. So for a gamer who likes to use pets I am interessted who useful they still are. TQ is one of only a few games where pets were really useful, so it would annoy me if they now were not worth the skill points they cost.

Ganymed
03-06-2007, 06:18 AM
According to my experience so far that is depending on which pets you use.
I tried pets in IT with my 3 chars:

- BEST: earth/spirit - the fire elemental and the lich king still draw a lot of attention and are working as tanks. not as good as in the original game but still useful. problem are boss monsters. the pets come quickly down from life leech attacks and some other special powers and then you are alone (and dead ...).

- MEDIUM: nature/hunter - the wolves and the nymph are no longer so useful. the wolves are attacking quickly, but still many mobs attack the caster directly (more than before in my opinion). the nymph is a background fighter. the wolves go down quickly by normal monster attacks and have no chance against boss monsters. the nymph is a bit more robust.

- WORSE: storm/dream - both pets are small and weak. they draw almost no attention. almost all the mobs are attacking the caster. the pets are mostly working behind (or together with) the caster. the storm pet is hard to hit and survives longer than the dream pet, but have no chance against bosses.

best regards

moongoose
03-06-2007, 07:17 AM
So this sounds not like a bit change for me.

Core Dweller and Lich were ever the best tanks (is provoke fixed?).

The wolves had their strength in my opinion not in drawing aggro but in making damage. Make they enough damage to be useful or can't they deal damage AND can't block?

The Wisp is more like an aura, IMO not mainly for aggro. But I think for increasing Storm damage he should be still usefull

What about the Nightmare. Doesn't he makes area damage and therefore should draw aggro and shouldn't the confusion skill help to get the monsters away from my char? Is Nightmare usefull if I don't have other pets and don't skill Mind Control?

Batman
03-06-2007, 07:22 AM
Nightmare gets it's AoE at level 5. And it kicks *** let me tell you.
I'll take a screenie of it's level 20 attributes and edit this thread.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e110/aprobinson/Nightmare.jpg

The numbers don't seem to change from level 18 to 20. Don't know why. The energy cost goes up, but that's all.

Ganymed
03-06-2007, 07:37 AM
Thats interesting!

I havent pushed up my dream pet so far, but now I know its worth it (if I have got enough points).

thanks

Batman
03-06-2007, 07:39 AM
Those stats are from +skills equipment, not shrines. Don't know if it makes a difference?

damador
03-06-2007, 11:43 AM
max + is 4 - even if you have eg total + 6 gear it will not increase in stats but will increase in cost

Batman
03-06-2007, 11:48 AM
I realise that. What I was wondering is if there is a difference between a shrine boost or equipment boost. There is no difference in damage stats between lvl 18 and lvl 20, this is why I was asking.
So there is no point busting a gut trying to get the last two levels as you will not get a boost in damage for your pet.

Mac2492
03-07-2007, 01:54 AM
I realise that. What I was wondering is if there is a difference between a shrine boost or equipment boost. There is no difference in damage stats between lvl 18 and lvl 20, this is why I was asking.
So there is no point busting a gut trying to get the last two levels as you will not get a boost in damage for your pet.

There shouldn't be a difference. I can't confirm that, though.

Infares
03-07-2007, 07:43 AM

Probably a display bug. I didn't entertain the illusion that they were completely gone in the first place though, lol.

Mierk
03-27-2007, 03:30 PM
Is there any plan in place to address the underperformance of pets in IT?

Is there a balance patch coming or something?

Mivo
03-27-2007, 03:46 PM
Wolves and the nightmare are very strong in epic and legendary. You just have to micromanage them a little (using the F-keys to send them to where you want them to go, and they tend to get and keep aggro). There's equipment with pet bonuses as well. My pet-Ritualist (dream/nature) is perhaps my strongest, fastest killing character (not bosses, but groups of mobs). Other players have made the same experience.

The one act where pets suck very badly is act4/normal. But before and after they're more than fine. (Well, that's for wolves and nightmare, with Mastermind and ToC.)

The Rock-man
03-28-2007, 06:42 AM
It is a display bug, +X to skills dont work properly NOTE to fix temporally change the number of skill points spent in it. This goes for all summoning skills.

shattered.likeness
03-28-2007, 08:41 AM
I have to say that my pet Diviner is doing quite well at the moment. Thanks to a maxed ToC, Master Mind, and Wraith Shell, my Lich is d*mn near indestructible! Right now I am about mid-way through Normal Orient, and nothing has given them the slightest of trouble. Can't wait to see how fast Typhon falls to this duo.

Nightmare, although small, does draw aggro quite well.

Loknar
07-01-2007, 04:44 AM
Nightmares are cute. I like the animation of their eye that looks around.

They are very useful at keeping my enemies busy (confused).

So far I can only summon a single one at a time. Whats the restriction for pets? Another thing not clearly explained in TQ.

Batman
07-01-2007, 05:22 AM
You only get one Nightmare. Level 5 will suffice as that is when he gets his secondary attack.

Loknar
07-01-2007, 06:16 AM
Indeed,

you dont need high level. I was just looking for ways to spend my overflowing mana (as a meelee character).

Bubble181
07-01-2007, 02:44 PM
Pets are all strong, but have different uses...Provoke only works with the CD on Normal, not on offensive, which is odd to say the least, but otherwise works. Spirit pets are still very strong, Nightmare is a useful addition with his Confuse (just one point, though) and mastermind if you have other pets. He's mostly useful like the Wisp, a moving aura rather than a tank or attacker. Still, nice to have.

But, in Act III and especially IV of Normal, they suck just a little bit :-P

Terca
07-01-2007, 03:13 PM
Pets are all strong, but have different uses...Provoke only works with the CD on Normal, not on offensive, which is odd to say the least, but otherwise works.

Just have it on normal until it cast provoke, then put it on aggresive. If you select normal it will cast it almost at once. Works for me at least.

Loknar
07-02-2007, 01:53 AM
But, in Act III and especially IV of Normal, they suck just a little bit :-P

If he dies I adjust its behavior. I'm in Act IV normal and I find the Nightmare is doing its job. It never dies faster than I can pop another one. I need to mention I'm a meelee so it doesnt have to take hits. It always keeps 2 enemies off me and 80% of the time they are too confused to hit it.

For a magic PC, I think, should not spend too much points in Nightmare. Don't count on him to save your ***.

Minervian
07-02-2007, 02:45 AM
In response to a much earlier post in this topic, I'd like to highlight to those who aren't aware that Wolves on legendary are immensely powerful, they can even tank (legendary) Typhon. Here's my demonstration topic: http://www.titanquest.net/forums/nature/16745-legend-wolves-aggroing-typhon.html

Brum
07-02-2007, 03:07 AM
And if that demonstration is not enough, here is a video of 1 wolf tanking and killing legendary Typhon (not my video) The champion just keeps healing it and makes Battle Standards.

1 Wolf killing legendary Typhon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExdzWP-ZzFc)

Loknar
07-02-2007, 05:04 AM
In response to a much earlier post in this topic, I'd like to highlight to those who aren't aware that Wolves on legendary are immensely powerful, they can even tank (legendary) Typhon. Here's my demonstration topic: http://www.titanquest.net/forums/nature/16745-legend-wolves-aggroing-typhon.html

I would like to highlight that having your dogs do all the work is not entertaining for me. That's what I do all day at the office!

So when I come back home I like to do everything by myself (Titan Quest, Cooking, Wife, etc...)

:D haha - kidding btw :p

The Rock-man
07-02-2007, 06:48 AM
The thing is pets are at there weakest in act 4 normal and strongest is act 1 legendary. As for hunting/nature being medium add in a hunters lure and see the mobs rush it, add this and boost it to high usability. It a more survivable form of an immobile core-dweller IMO. (dont bother with it upgrade.

Depending on you def of pets, (if traps are inc) then the best has to be a trapper brigand using hunter lures and traps (and the +%pierce skills).

Loknar
07-02-2007, 07:01 AM
One day I had a pet and I went to this Telkine boss and then he said; "Hm is that your pet?" and I was like, "yeah" - and he was like: "Wow he's so cute!" then I told him how I customised his colors and then we started talking and this hunter guy came in he said his traps was kinda like pets too so we laughed at him and he ran away crying so then we felt bad so me and the Telkine caught up with him later appologized and we started chatting and then became friends for like, forever.

Call it an alternate ending.

Bubble181
07-02-2007, 10:22 AM
And if that demonstration is not enough, here is a video of 1 wolf tanking and killing legendary Typhon (not my video) The champion just keeps healing it and makes Battle Standards.

1 Wolf killing legendary Typhon (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExdzWP-ZzFc)

Anyone bothered to count the amount of meteors that bloody wolf takes O_O Jeesh. Gottago make a Nature build now :-P

Barsby
07-02-2007, 10:49 PM
Love the Nightmare! Mine (at level 5) just tanked Legendary Manticore for me. Hardly got a scratch on him. I took it slow and steady on damage to make sure I never got looked at and down he went. Nary a health pot used!

Loknar
07-03-2007, 07:18 AM
Love the Nightmare! Mine (at level 5) just tanked Legendary Manticore for me. Hardly got a scratch on him. I took it slow and steady on damage to make sure I never got looked at and down he went. Nary a health pot used!

Nightmares can tank? Well they're pretty good at avoiding hits but...

The Rock-man
07-03-2007, 11:42 AM
Nightmares are one of the best tank pets in game (got 80%+ resists to everything but vit damage).

Barsby
07-03-2007, 08:51 PM
I was still using Kraken's Fist then, had pretty weak dps. Plus I didn't go bananas, as I said. Just used standard left/right mouse attacks (psionic touch, batter), no specials like shield charge or phantom strike.
He tanked the hydra for me as well, but his health went down faster than the hydra's did :(
I have gotten a number of gear upgrades since then, he doesn't hold aggro so well now.