PDA

View Full Version : Choppy framerate? Sound stutter? Read!

SleepyOne
06-29-2006, 01:04 PM
For me the game was very choppy, even on a fairly highend computer.

I did some searching and came across these things:

edit options file...

forceSingleProcessorMode = true
ambientFrequency = false

Unpack the .arc files into the Resources directory using the supplied archivetool.
(This will consume quite a bit of extra hd-space)

Set Shadows to Medium (or low if you have a lowend computer I guess).

Those changes made the game run completely smooth for me. Even in caves and such.

The unpacking the .arc files was the biggest performance boost.

Edit: This also fixed my extreme lag/sometimes crashing when using portal stone.

Maverik
06-29-2006, 01:07 PM
did u need to change
useArchives = true
?

Icarus
06-29-2006, 02:51 PM
More details on arc files here.
http://www.titanquest.net/questions-developers/1353-extracting-arc-files-improve-performance.html
Dev reccomends against it actually.

Sothebys
06-29-2006, 02:55 PM
Sorry. Can you explain about the .arc files in slightly more detail, please? =)

^^ dev took words out of my mouth perfectly.

SleepyOne
06-29-2006, 03:13 PM
More details on arc files here.
http://www.titanquest.net/questions-developers/1353-extracting-arc-files-improve-performance.html
Dev reccomends against it actually.

They can recommend against it all they want. All I know is that it removed 99% of the slowdowns, so Im using what works for me. I just thought I would share my experiences since many seem to have problems.

phantasy
06-29-2006, 04:57 PM
I will try this immediately. You listed all the symptoms of the game i have. Ill make a new post here if it works for me also :)

Ascent
06-29-2006, 05:18 PM
How big would be the unpacked files?

SleepyOne
06-29-2006, 06:46 PM
How big would be the unpacked files?

Just under 4 GB

neilsouth
06-29-2006, 07:04 PM
This doesn't work for me. The .arcs unpack just fine, I renamed the original .arc files as instructed and edited my default.txt and options.txt, but when I load the game, all I get is black, white and yellow checkered squares.

^ same as that other guy it looks like bloody tetris on steriods with this way

GLmig
06-29-2006, 07:44 PM
same as above

phantasy
06-30-2006, 06:07 AM
I did this and changed the audio acceleration to nothing and it has fixed most of my problems. Now my game ONLY crash when i try to exit it (lol) , never when im playing. I still get rare video lags, but thats not happening often.

skpruett
06-30-2006, 09:46 AM
I'm going to try this when I get home. Multiple threads on this same topic but posting this here as well just in case a dev sees this first:

I have noticed whey I hit the lag/choppiness that if I alt-tab and come back into the game ... *poof* problem solved, every single time. What I get upon returning is the small load meter in the bottom right that will take about 1/2 to 1 revolution (1 to 2 seconds) before I'm back in the game.

This makes me think the lag is indeed bound to something being loaded or unloaded or getting hung in the process. It doesn't appear to be a leak in any way since moving out of certain areas will bring me right back to full framerate.

I get it both in single player and multiplayer. Mostly when entering caves, cities, or sometimes areas with a lot of effects (the burining area with Arachnos and the tree branch caused it.)

Again, a quick alt-tab and I get full framerate, without killing anything (so it's not the amount of things on the screen or the effects, it's the TRANSITION that's the issue.)

Athlon64 FX-55 2000
ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe Motherboard (nForce4)
2x eVGA GeForce 7800 GT 256MB Graphics Cards (currently set NON SLI)
2GB OCZ Platinum PC3200 Memory
LiteOn 16X DVD+-R
Seagate Barracuda 7200 SATA150 HD, 250 GB
Creative X-Fi Platinum 7.1