PDA

View Full Version : Are Mandrake and Flash Powder redundant?

aquinod
03-05-2007, 10:06 AM
Is it worth maxing both of these skills? They seem to have the same net effects, except one (Mandrake) can be spread from afar with throwing daggers, or individually during melee, and the other (Flash Powder) is used against mobs right next to you. Right now, I have one point in each just to test them out, and it seems Flash Powder is more effective for my melee Sorceror.

The Envenomed Kiss
03-05-2007, 12:23 PM
Ever played Monopoly? Well Flash Powder is like a Get Out Of Jail Free Card

aquinod
03-05-2007, 01:53 PM
Ever played Monopoly? Well Flash Powder is like a Get Out Of Jail Free Card

I know, I spam it like crazy. If I max Flash, is spending all those points in Mandrake really necessary?

Infares
03-05-2007, 10:07 PM
Mandrake can be aimed. If you have Flurry of Knives maxed along with Nightshade and Mandrake, you probably don't even need Flash Powder.

On the other hand, if you have no knives and are constantly surrounded, then Flash Powder will be your best bet.

aquinod
03-05-2007, 10:24 PM
Mandrake can be aimed. If you have Flurry of Knives maxed along with Nightshade and Mandrake, you probably don't even need Flash Powder.

On the other hand, if you have no knives and are constantly surrounded, then Flash Powder will be your best bet.

Well, I don't have squall maxed yet, and flurry is maxed, but i still end up using both. After my initial knife toss, I still end up with 4-5 creatures surrounding me, and then I flash. I guess there's no real harm with having points in both at this point.

Infares
03-05-2007, 10:27 PM
Well, I don't have squall maxed yet, and flurry is maxed, but i still end up using both. After my initial knife toss, I still end up with 4-5 creatures surrounding me, and then I flash. I guess there's no real harm with having points in both at this point.

Generally the ones that reach you have the fumble chance still and would end up being your first targets. Of course then you can squall directly on top of yourself and start picking them off.

aquinod
03-06-2007, 10:12 AM
Generally the ones that reach you have the fumble chance still and would end up being your first targets. Of course then you can squall directly on top of yourself and start picking them off.

Right. But I'm referring to the situations where there are 10-15 enemies, you manage to knife/confuse 6-8 of them, and the rest surround you.

Anyway, this character is really fun to play so far, having to decide the exact implementation of knives and squall to put myself in the best position to melee through a big fracas.

Maktaka
03-09-2007, 06:58 AM
It never hurts to have more than one way to confuse enemies as a rogue. Rogue has plenty of ways to make enemies unable to hit you, but nothing to help you if you actually get hit. Same thing with Storm (at least not for physical damage). I've heard of some effective Assassin builds that can get away without both by using War Wind with Mandrake, but I don't see any options like that for Sorcerers.

Viperace
04-11-2007, 02:55 AM
The problem with Flash Powder is that it is not 100% guaranteed to work.

65% to fumble attack
and
65% to confuse

Unlike for example:
Warhorn
1.5s-6s stun guaranteed

Phantomstrike/Dream Stealer
4.5s stun guaranteed

Distort Reality
1.5s stun/petrify guaranteed

Mandrake is much better because you can channel the effect through your bow attack or Throw Knife skill, in a relatively safe distance.

Whilst Flash Powder require you to get into within 8m range (god of TQ only knows how far is 8m, less than half a screen maybe ) of the mob - dangerous act

Try Flash Powder-ing a pack of legendary tigerman, you better pray that it affect the Black cat...or else..

Felexitus
04-11-2007, 04:16 AM
65% chance always hit they just dont always work

Discobird
04-11-2007, 06:26 PM
The problem with Flash Powder is that it is not 100% guaranteed to work.
It doesn't need to be guaranteed in order to do its job of relieving pressure. It has about 90% chance of inflicting a condition at lvl 8 (assuming the rolls for fumble and confuse fail independently). Nine out of ten monsters disabled on average is plenty good, not as good as ten out of ten of course but good enough that I wouldn't call it a "problem."

Whilst Flash Powder require you to get into within 8m range (god of TQ only knows how far is 8m, less than half a screen maybe ) of the mob - dangerous act

This is true but it's a misleading way of putting it. Flash Powder is best used as a panic button when you're already surrounded by monsters. Don't use it to proactively debuff monsters, the Envenom line + bow or Throwing Knives is much better for that. But many Rogue classes don't have a way to instantly apply Envenom in a 360 degree radius, so Flash Powder is a better panic button. My Brigand has Flash Powder on her bar in addition to Envenom and the two complement each other nicely.

wootrang
04-11-2007, 08:39 PM
Hey, i'm new to these boards but i've been playing TQ for a good bit of time and would like to voice my input...Been playing an assassin for a while and my strategy through normal TQ and into IM was to kill stuff fast and bring a lot of pots. I died a BUNCH in IT, so i retooled my character with 1pt of venom and maxed mandrake, and also maxed flash.
Now, i'm lvl 46 and halfway through epic Egypt. I can say that the only time i have died in epic is when i got too cocky and got swarmed by about 30 mobs in greece. With maxed mandrake i can warwind a group to daze most of them and with dual wield line/ calc strike line i can kill most everything before mandrake effects wear off. That usually takes care of melee mobs, so for archers/casters i usually run up to them and flashpowder em, then take them out like anyone else. For the stronger mobs i 1shot them with lethal strike. Hasn't failed me yet, but i guess i'll see how later acts go.
I guess what i'm saying then is that yes, the 2 skills may be redundant in thier effects, but the application of the two skills can be used to overall up your survivability.

Viperace
04-12-2007, 02:14 AM
It doesn't need to be guaranteed in order to do its job of relieving pressure. It has about 90% chance of inflicting a condition at lvl 8 (assuming the rolls for fumble and confuse fail independently). Nine out of ten monsters disabled on average is plenty good, not as good as ten out of ten of course but good enough that I wouldn't call it a "problem."

It's just a matter of taste whether we call it a 'problem' or 'not as good'. I will leave my post for other to intepret.

To summarize my post, Mandrake in my view is better, as I can plan my attack. And my plan does not involve panic; maybe that's just me. :D

Discobird
04-14-2007, 11:02 PM
To summarize my post, Mandrake in my view is better, as I can plan my attack. And my plan does not involve panic; maybe that's just me. :D

Oh, of course panic doesn't make for a good plan :p. But this just supports my point that Mandrake and Flash Powder have different uses. They don't compete for the same job. By all means plan your attack with Mandrake, but if your plan fails, which can always happen, Flash Powder will save you.