PDA

View Full Version : Spending attribute points? (Defender)

land squid
02-16-2007, 04:15 PM
I created a defender and am wondering about what I should spend my attribute points on. I haven't spent any yet (level 7).

What weapon would be most beneficial to a pure defender? I know that club weapons have a special skill, but I don't know how often that stun percentage will actually take effect. If I do go clubs/axes though, all I need to focus on is strength (which alot of the highest armors require). But would it be better to spread points around both strength and dexterity and go with using swords? What about spears? Are they much more damaging?

Any advice would be appreciated :)

I played a pyromancer previously and really messed up by spending points in the wrong places.

Leharic
02-16-2007, 06:04 PM
I added to STR and DEX 2:1 until I had enough STR to use all armor/weapons. Now I add to DEX and Life 1:1.

You could put a point or two into Concussive Blow, but don't let it make you feel like you can only use/upgrade to clubs.

dambros
02-24-2007, 10:08 PM
Well I do not agree with above... Add STR and DEX until you reach 390, once your DEX is 390, add 1:1 STR and HP.

You don't need more than 390 dex (only if you want to use a bow), and about spears, I think it's better if you can get a nice Achilles on it, with a fast attack, the spear pwnz everthing, besides that you have your shield that does a hell of damage.

I think Concussive Blow is useless, clubs are slow and hae no piercing...

i.n.s.a.n.e
02-26-2007, 03:50 AM
Well I do not agree with above... Add STR and DEX until you reach 390, once your DEX is 390, add 1:1 STR and HP.

You don't need more than 390 dex (only if you want to use a bow), and about spears, I think it's better if you can get a nice Achilles on it, with a fast attack, the spear pwnz everthing, besides that you have your shield that does a hell of damage.

I think Concussive Blow is useless, clubs are slow and hae no piercing...

Hi,

Don't forget, Dex increases your OA for doing criticals and DA which is very important to avoid monsters' criticals. Also increases your block rate..

If spear "pwnz everthing", high Dex is also good, IMO.. :]

Mindless
02-26-2007, 04:46 AM
I guess it depends. I've always been fond of sword since they generally look pretty cool, and the best melee weapon in the game (according to me anyway) is a sword (Kydoimos, gives me about 1.4k OA = crit on all hits pretty much)

I'd put in STR and DEX untill I could use pretty much any armor I'd want. However, one problem with one-class characters is the HP gain (at least when moving on to the next difficulty), which is why HP can be a good investment.

MP is something I've started to have a problem with lately. Having maxed pretty much all my skills (with the +4 bonuses I have), I've begun to put skills in Ancestral Horn (I'm a Conqueror) and things like that, and to be honest, spamming batter, shield charge, battle standard and so on, I just don't seem to have enough mana to support my extensive skill-usage.

So, investing some points (on later levels) in MP might not be a bad idea either.

However, if you plan on making that guy into a Templar in IT, the Dream mastery should probably cover that extra MP boost you need in order to use your skills more effectively in late-game.

Maestro
02-26-2007, 05:21 AM
If you are going to stay pure Defender, I'd try to keep DEX and STR as even as possible, but with a slight favor towards DEX (for offensive/defensive ability) until you either have an epiphany as to what your secondary mastery is or because you picked up that Epic or Legendary Club/Axe/Spear/Sword.

The reason being that you really don't have to worry about reaching such stratospheric heights in points until you get to Epic and Legendary and as soon as you get that Kydoimos drop you'll be right where you want to be to add that extra bit of strength for it. But for some reason the DEX/STR gap widens with spears. (Achilles' Spear and all other similar spears want 350 DEX to use but require only 150 STR. And if you get a Legendary Axe drop (Charybdis for example) than the gap exists in the other direction (407 STR and only 150 DEX required).

So, to sum up you can't guess what attributes you will need. Play it safe. Keep their base values even (before bonuses from items, rings, amulets, et cetera) until/unless you get that Epic/Legendary drop that is just killer for you and your build!

Dedo
02-27-2007, 08:54 PM
Hi,

Don't forget, Dex increases your OA for doing criticals and DA which is very important to avoid monsters' criticals. Also increases your block rate..

If spear "pwnz everthing", high Dex is also good, IMO.. :]

Yes but with your speed at cap you want to go in STR and HP only. Dex to like 408-420 max for spear and bow and no more than 400 for non piercing.

The points added after to dex does not scale evenly compared to raw damage you will receive with STR passed that point. You want to be relying on raw damage to kill in 1 shot rather than a few shots and hoping for crits. This is even more paramount for legendary bosses. Especially if you plant to kill them in around 5 seconds.