PDA

View Full Version : The stupid "42" joke finally made sense...

Armada
10-12-2006, 12:50 PM
Over so many forums, and so many friends - ive always experienced that damn "The answer is 42" joke thing when regarding the meaning of life, discussing religion and so on.

Well 2 days ago, i asked a friend about suggestions about some cool movies i mightve missed and he proposed seeing "The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy"

How old is this movie anyways? just came to the "the answer is 42" part - watching it now. its a fun movie, but the most important thing is i finally found out the silly 42 thing :P lol

Batman
10-12-2006, 12:57 PM
Yes, but what's the question?

ward_rb
10-12-2006, 01:23 PM
Yes, but what's the question?

"whats the meaning of life, existance, and things like that" probably not the exact wording used, been awhile since ive watched the movie.

i really want to get around to reading the books one of these days.

edit - was bored, and looked it up. 42 is the answer to "life, the universe, and everything."

dharma
10-13-2006, 12:46 AM
I thought it was "How many roads must a man walk down in his life to obtain the answer to life, the universe and everything?"

Dharken
10-13-2006, 06:47 AM
as for the age of it.. its been a book / radio / tv series / film.. its old..

Batman
10-13-2006, 07:18 AM
It was a radio show first. First aired on March 8th 1978. I have a first issue book that is dated 1979.

"It begins with a house".

Benfea
10-16-2006, 10:15 PM
Over so many forums, and so many friends - ive always experienced that damn "The answer is 42" joke thing when regarding the meaning of life, discussing religion and so on.

Well 2 days ago, i asked a friend about suggestions about some cool movies i mightve missed and he proposed seeing "The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy"

How old is this movie anyways? just came to the "the answer is 42" part - watching it now. its a fun movie, but the most important thing is i finally found out the silly 42 thing :P lol

Holy crap!

The movie is based on books that were originally published in the 1980s (read the first four, ignore the rest), which in turn were based on a BBC radio show that aired sometime earlier.

You must, must, must read the books; they're a thousand times funnier than the movie!

Batman
10-17-2006, 04:06 AM
I totally agree with Benfea. Although the TV series, which I have on DVD, is a darned good laugh too.

The "Movie" destryed the whole feeling of the Guide, IMO. Watched it once, never again.

"Brain the size of a planet........."

Anatta
10-20-2006, 04:12 AM
HAHA!

Welcome to the world of television and movies.

It is great huh?

There are people inside that screen!

Real PEOPLE?!?

How do they fit them in there?

Anyhow as a side note don't forget to bring your towel.

The Iron Monkey
10-20-2006, 05:26 PM
He could be taking about the recent movie just released last year.

Anyway, as stated, the books are waaaayyy better.

There was also a word game for PCs, quite fun to play.

Mad_Bombardier
10-20-2006, 06:02 PM
My neighbor had Hitchhiker's text game on his Tandy. And I had The Dark Crystal text game. But ahh yes, the insane text based RPGs of AppleII/Tandy age. The text 'clues' tell you nothing and you have no clue what commands are even possible in the game (the game manual gives you 3-4 basic commands and you have to invent all the rest on your own). I wouldn't call them fun, I prefer to call them mindwarpingly frustrating. :knockout:

Benfea
10-20-2006, 11:59 PM
My neighbor had Hitchhiker's text game on his Tandy. And I had The Dark Crystal text game. But ahh yes, the insane text based RPGs of AppleII/Tandy age. The text 'clues' tell you nothing and you have no clue what commands are even possible in the game (the game manual gives you 3-4 basic commands and you have to invent all the rest on your own). I wouldn't call them fun, I prefer to call them mindwarpingly frustrating. :knockout:

Actually, Douglas Adams (who wrote the text game version of Hitchhiker's Guide) made fun of the frustration inherent to interactive fiction. (The acquisition of the Babelfish puzzle.)

The Iron Monkey
10-22-2006, 06:21 PM
Here they are, for your fun pleasure : The Hitchhikers guide AND Leather Godesses of Phobos... :razz: :razz: :razz:

Aensland
10-23-2006, 04:33 AM
Good God, look at the dates on the files in that thing :) Thanks, Iron Monkey!

The Iron Monkey
10-23-2006, 02:23 PM
It was in an "oldgames" directory, in an "very old stuff" subdirectory... :)

I hope it was ok to post, I don't think they are of comercial value any more...

Oh, and for those who never saw this before, start with things like "open eyes", and "look around", etc... The babble fish goes in your ear. Don't forget the towel...

Spearthrower
10-26-2006, 05:40 AM
The stupid "42" joke finally made sense...

It's not a joke!! :p